AMD Radeon 6790 in sl

Jonny Kyrie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If it's your only choice it should run SL adequately but not with the best possible performance. You may have to turn OpenGL vertex buffer objects off in preferences - AMD/ATI cards have been misbehaving with them turned on in SL. The review I saw of it said it was a midrange card and wasn't the best value for the money. Right now it looks like Nvidia cards are running the latest SL viewers better than ATI/AMD cards.

Like previous posters said. it's not the best but it should run SL on a decent level.  Expect some lag but you should be able to run the game fine.  If you want something that will run SL at its best, something like a nVidia GT or geForce 9000 or something in that higher up level.

The Nvidia 550ti in the same bracket on that chart (and similar pricepoint) will do better in SL but if you play other games you will likely find the AMD slightly outperforms the 550 there. Or wait a few weeks for Nvidias next generation to hit the shelves and watch prices slip you may be able to get something alot better from AMD or Nvidia on your budget.

Outperform is relative though we are talking a few FPS either way in most games. Maybe more in SL as Nvidia handle OpenGL better. Your monitor probably cant display more than 60FPS anyway so anything over that is also pretty irrelevent in the real world

Actually, Nvida cards couldn't even run mesh a few months ago.  Anyway, I have an ATI 4890 on my main pc and it runs SL fine on dual monitors.  I have a couple of Nvida cards and they seem to have issues running on dual monitors.    if I was looking for a new card, then look at the new AMD 7000 series.  The AMD allows you to run 4K monitors that will be coming out soon.  Nvida doesn't allow you that option at the present. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.