Uploading Meshes for Testing

Amphei Jierdon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've done a lot with sculpties but now discover meshes can be a lot more fun, although it's a lotta new stuff to learn. 

When once I started to learn sculpties, in the beginning I produced a lot of crap, but I needed to upload it, to see, how it does inworld. I used Phoenix viewer at this time, because it allowed me to temporarily upload my testing-stuff and just pay the upload fee, when I was happy with my work and wanted to keep it and be visible for other residents. 

Now I use Firestorm viewer, but it doesn't seen to have a temporary upload for meshes which would be very helpul, especially in the learning phase. 

I've heard about "beta grids", but isn't that uncomfortable? How can I get land there? What, if I leave my workshop untidy?

How do you guys do it? Experimenting with meshes without spending zillions of Lindens for uploading crap?

You can't buy land on the beta grid as far as I know, all money there is virtual money. Anyway, you don't need land there, you can build in any sandbox. Leaving your work out in the open isn't really an option though, since (most)  sims on the beta grid have a 24 hour auto-return. You could copy your work on a daily basis (or slightly more often than daily:) ). I usually delete what I build there before I go offline though.

The Beta Test Grid is definitely the place you want to log onto to test out mesh.  The grid's name is Aditi.  The grid for regular SL is named Agni.  When you start a viewer and the log in page pops up if you don't see an option near the log in button press Ctrl + Shift + G.  Select Aditi and log in with your normal user name and password for SL.

Now your account information on Aditi may not be up to date so your Linden dollars may be off and you may be missing stuff from your inventory.  Aditi grid is like a small sampling of the Agni or regular SL grid meaning there are copies of whole sims there that are just like they are in SL.  There are some regular sandboxes as well as a good number of Mesh Sandboxes though you can upload and rez mesh in either.  The mesh sandboxes tend to have a much longer autoreturn time than the regular sandboxes.

You upload mesh just like you do on Agni / SL.  You will pay for it out of your Linden Dollars but it doesn't actually affect your real balance so you really are paying nothing.  You may have to take the mesh test again but no sweat if it asks you to take it just click the link and take the test again.

What ever you make and put in your inventory on Aditi the beta test grid will not be in your regular SL inventory when you log into SL but it will be there next time you log onto the beta test grid.

I hope that helps. :)

Thanks for your hints. That helped me. But if someone of Linden occationally reads this: Mesh is challenging but difficult to learn, there are many problems and even bugs. It really would be nice to have a more convenient way to test our experiments in the learning phase than the beta grid. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.