can i make a report about some one commiting fraud using a program to generate lindens?

LishaJoya Haven

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

can i make a report about some one commiting fraud using a program to generate lindens?

I saw an outside source on how to general lindens...though the person clearly didnt even pay for their lindens...to me its FRAUD and it destroys the secondlife economy....how do i report such a tradegy??

IM OUTRAGED!!

grrrr,

Lisha

11 answers to this question

Fill the Abuse Report. You don't need judge if you may or not. Fill the AR and LL will judge.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Filing-an-abuse-report/ta-p/700065#Section_.1 ->

When to file an abuse report

Abuse occurs when someone violates the Second Life Terms of Service (ToS) or the Community Standards (CS). Every Resident agrees to abide by these rules upon joining Second Life. Some special areas, such as Infohubs, have additional restrictions called the Welcome Area Guidelines.

Whenever you see one of these rules being broken and you believe it to be intentional or malicious, everyone present at the scene should file an abuse report. If there are multiple incidents, file multiple reports.

File reports on any abuse you witness in addition to abuse that targets you personally. Not every Resident is aware of the abuse-reporting system or remembers to use it, so please help out your fellow Residents! Reports from multiple people underscore the seriousness of an incident.

You can file an abuse report whenever you feel the need.  However, if you are talking about a service OUTSIDE of Linden Lab control like a 3rd party website, then there is no TOS violation.   You would be better off trying to tie your report to something controlled by LL if you can.   And it would be interesting to know how you know the person didn't pay for their lindens. 

ETA: BTW, if you have knowledge of linden dollar fraud or of someone stealing or creating false linden dollars, I believe the proper procedure is to send an email to security@secondlife.com  I'm not sure an Abuse Report is the right approach here.  That is also the email to report email fraud and phishing schemes related to SL

--Cinn

• Like 1

There are a bunch of these "Get Our Second Life Cheat Code and Make $L" scams out there.  If the thing really worked, LL would have hit them up one side and down the other with lawsuits.

It's just a scam to steal your money and/or infect your computer with malware.

• Like 2

I hate to sound like a broken record but have you read the ToS completely? 

---------------------------------------------------------

"

Last Updated and Effective Date: December 15, 2010

Welcome to Second Life! This agreement (this "Agreement" or the "Terms of Service") describes the terms on which Linden Research, Inc. and Linden Research United Kingdom, Ltd. (collectively "Linden Lab") offer you access to Second Life. "Second Life" or the "Service" means the multi-user online service offered by Linden Lab, including its Websites, Servers, Linden Software, Linden In-World Content, and User Content (as those terms are defined in this Agreement). This offer is conditioned on your agreement to all of the terms and conditions contained in the Terms of Service, including the policies and terms linked to or otherwise referenced in this Agreement.

By using Second Life, you agree to and accept these Terms of Service. If you do not so agree, you should decline this Agreement, in which case you are prohibited from accessing or using Second Life.

0.0 TABLE OF CONTENTS

This Agreement includes both the terms above and the following 14 sections, which you may jump to directly by selecting the appropriate link below. The headings and subheadings are for your convenience only -- you are responsible for reviewing all sections, defined terms and related links in their entirety to ensure you fully understand this Agreement.

1. Changes to This Agreement
  2. Eligibility to Use Second Life
  3. Account Registration and Billing
  4. Second Life is a Virtual World Service
  5. "Linden Dollars" are Virtual Tokens That We License
  6. "Virtual Land" is In-World Space That We License
  7. Content Licenses and Intellectual Property Rights
  8. Conduct by Users of Second Life
  9. Privacy and Your Personal Information
  10. Releases, Disclaimers, Liability Limits and Indemnification
  11. Suspension and Termination of Your Account
  12. Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
  13. General Provisions
  14. Additional Terms and Policies

..."

----------------------------------------------------------------

As has been stated already, Linden Lab can do nothing if something occurs outside their realm of authority.  That realm is only sites owned by LL and the SL grids.  Third party sites are outside LL's ownership and, like Wal-Mart has no authority over what happens in JC Pennys, LL has none over any website outside their ownership.  If fraud is occurring on a third party website that effects LL then they can file a law suit with the proper authorities to stop the fraud.  As private person, you also have that ability if you've been a victim of fraud (or any other harm)..........but you must do that with the proper authorities (the agency or party with jurisdiction over the place that the fraud or harm has occurred.  So if this fraud is taking place on a third party website (which I think you said it was) then your option is to report the fraud to the proper authorities........since it's on the Internet, I believe that authority is the FBI (if not they should be able to steer you in the right direction).  It might be to your advantage to also report the issue to Linden Lab using the suggestions by Cinnamon (I, too, don't believe the Abuse Report is the proper method to report this).

But, the problem I'm sure you are going to run into is the Linden Lab ToS and their claim about the Linden Dollars being "token" with no value relating to any legal money.  I highligted in my copy/paste the section that gives a pretty clear definition of LL's stand on Linden Dollars.  If anyone decides to go after a third party for fraud relating to Linden Dollars is going to have to get around the fact that LL says the Linden Dollars are tokens with limited license for use only within Linden Labs virtual world or LL owned and sanctioned third party websites.  It has no real monetary value.  Any court is going to have to be convinced that you were defrauded out of anything of value........that's a very difficult thing to assert.  A lawyer, after reading the ToS, will very likely tell you that he/she feels your pain but there's nothing that can be done.  When you acknowledged that you read the ToS and understood and agreed to it you said you knew what the value of the Linden Dollar is.  Unfortunately, there are people in this world who will exploit others ignorance (that is not a derogatory word, by the way) to take something of value from them and return nothing.  It is out and out fraud but the only way to fix the problem (unless you are willing to fight in a court of law with a very weak starting point for you argument) is to avoid the thieves.........Linden Lab warns explicitely that you are on your own with any dealings outside LL's realm of authority.

It's a wild, mixed up, crazy and danger place out there on the Internet.  Everyone should know that and use common sense, along with knowledge of what your protections are.  Mostly that protection in only you being careful and wary of everything that you don't have first hand experience with as a "safe" place.  Contact LL so that, if LL feels there's a legal way to take care of the problem, they can do so.  And learn from your mistake.  Stick to Linden Lab's controled sites or Linden Lab sanctioned third party sites.  Evrerywhere else it a mind field.........treat them that way.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.