Excessive Inventory Sent

Fred Allandale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Why am I getting the following message?:  "Second Life: Objects you own in <region name> have sent out excessive inventory and their offers have been temporarily deactivated. The last inventory offer sent was from <object name>.

The <object name> is a mailing list object that sends out newsletters to a list of subscribed customers.  This object has been in use for years and this week was the first time it had this problem.  is there some new limit imposed on the maximum send rate for inventory items?  I am aware that there is a limit of 5000 IMs per hour, but this only applies to IMs, not inventory items.  I can find no reference to any send rate limits for the llGiveInventory() function in the LSL Portal.  If there is a new limit that has been recently imposed, what is it?

1 answer to this question

Actually, there is a limit of sorts, and it's been there for years.  When a script gives inventory to an avatar, it stalls for 2 seconds.  That's an anti-griefer measure, to keep people from spamming with bogus vendor boxes.  Often the way around that, as with the throttle limit on IMs that you mentioned, is to have the vendor send its initial gift to several slave vendors, which then split up the mailing list so that they can all be sending at once.  Still, my guess is that somebody on your mailing list may have filed an AR, claiming that you were spamming them, so LL shut you down.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.