I can't speak on the last linux viewer

junfrost

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I can't choose "Input/Output Devices" in "Sound&Media"

and I don't think I can hear others' voice

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Second Life 3.2.5 (247236) Jan  5 2012 19:58:01 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 184943.0, 309083.0, 1249.8 in China located at sim4822.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.21.235:13014)
Second Life Server 12.01.06.247303
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.93GHz (2926.43 MHz)
Memory: 1004 MB
OS Version: Linux 3.2.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 13 08:19:09 UTC 2012 i686
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 6600/PCI/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 290.10

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0d zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: OpenAL, version 1.1 ALSOFT 1.11.753 / OpenAL Community / OpenAL Soft: PulseAudio Software
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox

Built with GCC version 40103
Packets Lost: 0/6585 (0.0%)

5 answers to this question

Here's some Voice advice for Linux users, courtesy of the Firestorm support team.  It may be helpful to you, even though the specific instructions are aimed at Firestorm.  After all, they are using LL base code to handle Voice.

Every linux distro is different; and each distro may have more than one window manager to further complicate things. So tips can't be “absolute”; you will need to experiment and see what works for you. The following have been suggested by some as effective. But first….

In the Firestorm install directory, there's a text file (originally from LL) with tips on getting voice to work in linux. If you haven't read that, then you can try to see if it helps.

• Make sure you have ALSA and/or FMOD available. FMOD is supplied with Firestorm, normally. If you look at Help → About Firestorm, you should see a line that resembles this:
    Audio Driver Version: OpenAL, version 1.1 ALSOFT 1.11.753 / OpenAL Community / OpenAL Soft: PulseAudio Software
    If that says “none” then you have no audio driver available to Firestorm and need to install one.
  • Edit the firestorm shell script and remove the # in
    #export LL_BAD_OPENAL_DRIVER=x

That will force LL to use FMOD rather than ALSA. Some say this is how to get voice working.

• Some swear that the problem is PulseAudio, so you can try to remove that from your system. Be warned, however, that this could cause more problems than it solves. Make sure you remove only Pulse and not half the OS.
  • Be sure to have the correct devices select in Firestorm for voice:
    Preferences → Sound & Media → Audio Device Settings (button) … input and output may not work if left at default; they may need to go to a specific device like “ALSA Capture on [device name]”.

Below are results for selected linux distros, based on input from Phoenix and Firestorm users. This will be updated as more information becomes available.

• Mint 10, KDE: There is no need to edit the snowglobe shell script as described above. Also, PulseAudio seems to work well with voice; in fact, it is seems needed to get any audio going at all. So if you don't have Pulse installed, try installing it along with pavucontrol. In pavucontrol, check the Config tab to ensure devices are set up correctly. Then in System Settings > Multimedia, “prefer” your headset for both Communications settings. Finally, in Firestorm, Preferences → Sounds & Media, set it to use ALSA, in the Audio Device Settings section.
  • ubuntu 10.04: Users report voice working “out of the box”, no additional packages needed. However, if for some reason you cannot get voice working, use synaptic to check that you have gstreamer0.10-alsa, PulseAudio and pavucontrol installed. See Mint 10 above for more info. Note however that some ubuntu users report issues with streaming audio and video.
  • Like 1

Hello junfrost and welcome to SL Forums. Rolig gave you very good suggestions. I want only to point something. I think you know that your system hasn't the best specs in the world. It is an old one. With voice, media stream and other similar features you overwork your computer so much. With 1GB ram and with a Nvidia 6600 (was the lowest threshold to run SL looooong time ago when LL published the page with SL system requirements - seems that now is completely out of date), i would be grateful simply to run SL, even in medium or low possibly performance.

The RAM would be the bigger pinch, especially if you're on one of the distros that pulls in an overly complete GNOME plus pulseaudio. I still have a machine that rocks High 25 frames no problem with a GeForce 4 in Ahern on a busy night; it's not like Windows where you're crippled by an intentionally crap OpenGL implementation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.