Rigging Mesh Clothing

NaiadNightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

Is anyone using AC3D to make mesh objects, particularly clothing & accessories.

I currently have the following programmes: AC3D, DAZ3D & PAINTSHOP PRO.

For those that dont know AC3D is equivalent to (but easier to use than IMHO) BLENDER while DAZ3D is effectively a POSE/ANIMATION (Amongst other things) software and PSP I think everyone knows.

All are damn good programmes for creation of 3D content, however I can't seem to find anyone else who is using this combination of software for SL content creation, so every tutorial is basically gibberish to me as none of these programmes has any resemblence in the GUI to Blender, Maya, 3DS etc which most seem to be using.

The above programmes are not the most expensive options available, though they have all the functionality of the cheaper (free) or uber expensive options. I'm on the verge of breaking Google, (which would be a tragedy for everyone lol). I think one more search from me and Google's servers will pop a fuse. Has anyone heard or know of a group using the above combo for uploading goodies into SL?

Thanks in advance (I hope)

I don't have any experience with AC3D, but it looks like it can make SL meshes, and I swear i have seen others using it.

Daz3D is old, and you should go get Daz Studio 4. You can make animations for SL using it, but I don't think you can rig an SL avatar in it, maybe tho.

I'm using 3ds Max right now. All the different programs have at least some difficulties with rigging. Some of the problems are collada export problems, some are just user error, and some are just the difficulty of finding a working skeleton or making 1.

Beyond this, I can't really help you much. Try Blender. There are so many using it, I'm sure you will find quite a few decent tutorials. I know Gaia has quite a few.

Thanks for responding, I shoulda been more specific, I have Studio4 and yes it seems like every other programme out there, there are issues .

It would appear I may need to get 3DS, but not until I've exhausted all possibilities for Studio4.

I tried Blender but I think I might have the wrong version, there only seems to be a gagiliion bloody versions lol.

I had similar issues as you have discribed since I use Silo, Hexagon when it came to the what seem more complicated rigging of mesh clothing. Till I watched this very extensive series of videos that seemed to those far worked for me. I create my model using the SL default OBJ file and then import the saved obj of my new model into Blender and following the tutorial in the link below I can get the model rigged. Granted have had to watch the video a few times and still having a few issues but finding this work flow best thus far for the modelers I use hope it helps

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.