Category Search script for Marketplace shoppers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

is there any info on how to add these scripts..i can't find the script on greasemonkey..i don't know if i am sposed to copy and paste it someplace from that  script posted or if the link they gave was to the script..

the link they gave just takes me to a version of greasemonkey to download..

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Just a heads up that Chalice Yao has posted a really useful Greasemonkey script
that allows Marketplace shoppers using Firefox, Chrome and, apparently, Opera, to search in subcategories, like this:

marketplace.jpg

the search in window in mine says CURRENT and keeps my keyword...

so if i want mesh womens boots..i have to go to the side panel and choose apperal then womens then footware then boots and it will keep the keyword the same and only bring up mesh womens boots..

while my search in slot will still say current..

it's nice because it keeps the page count down it seems so far and gets rid of a lot of the clutter that is trying to game the market it seems...so far anyways hehehe

Copy-paste it into Notepad (or any other text editor) and save it as 

SL Marketplace search combobox extender.user.js   (n.b. the double-barreled extension)

then, having checked that Greasemonkey is running, simply drag and drop it onto an browser page in Firefox.   It should install automatically.

See http://wiki.greasespot.net/Greasemonkey_Manual:Installing_Scripts

Using the Category filters on the left hand side of the web-page, click through to Apparel>Womens'>Women's Footwear>Women's Boots.   At each stage in the process, you should see the entry in the Search In drop-down change to reflect the sub-category you are in, and any search you do for Keywords will be confined to that sub-category and its children.

Prior to this script, you would have to put your keyword search in first, then drill down through the categories on the left to refine your results.  With this script, you can drill down through the categories first, then refine the results with a keyword search.

Very nice.  Thanks for the heads up.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Using the Category filters on the left hand side of the web-page, click through to Apparel>Womens'>Women's Footwear>Women's Boots.   At each stage in the process, you should see the entry in the Search In drop-down change to reflect the sub-category you are in, and any search you do for Keywords will be confined to that sub-category and its children.

The script works, but it doesn't work like that for me.  For me, it just adds the entry CURRENT to the Search In dropdown list (the same behavior that Ceka Cianci reported in post #6).

Help!

I pasted the script in notepad and saved it with the file extension .user.js.  I then dragged and dropped into fiefox when  i had marketplace open and nothing happened.  I reloaded the page.  nothing happened..  I tried to install it using greasemonkey's manage user scripts >install add ons from file, but it won't install.  I get the message that it can not be installed because it appears corrupt.  I went back to be sure i had the entire script and I do.  What am i missing here?

As far as I understand it, it's using CURRENT as a placeholder in the search drop-down, and then replacing it with whatever you navigate to using the menu of links in the column on the left of the page. 

When you do a keyword search, the search engine looks for the value showing in the drop down to use as a filter.   Without the script, the only available filters are the category names hard-coded into the drop-down.   The script simple adds the name of whatever sub-category you're in at the time as an available filter.

Hmm.  I've got it install in Firefox without difficulty simply by dropping it on an open page.    I got the message about it appearing to be corrupt when I tried using "Manage User Scripts" in PaleMoon, to see what would happen (PaleMoon is Firefox optimised for Windows) so I tried dropping it, as I had with Firefox, and it silently installed.    

So I don't really know what to suggest, other than asking over in the SLU thread, where Chalice is more likely to see it than is she to see it here.   I don't know a great deal about GreaseMonkey; I simply installed it (first in Google Chrome, using the TamperMonkey manager  Chalice recommends there, which makes it a piece of cake), and thought people who don't read SLU might like to know about the script, too.   I can't really offer much in the way of technical support, though.

If you look at your installed scripts in Firefox, is it showing as there?  Normally if something goes wrong when you're dragging and dropping a GreaseMonkey script into Firefox, you know about it because the browser opens up the script as new page.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Yep, I understand what should happen.....but it doesn't. I get the 2nd tree "Apparel" .....as i go deeper, it goes back to the default of "All Categories"

What i did notice though, and i can't do anything about it......when you track back the files using Windows explorer...it has shorten both folder name and user.fs file name......from "SL Marketplace search combobox extender"....to "sl_marketplace_search_co".....I think there lies the problem. In GreaseMonkey it's listed correctly....but not within the folders in Firefox files under " Documents & Settings" by user I get the shorten file names.

I've just updated Firefox to 9.0.1, and the script seemed to disappear from the list of installed scripts and wouldn't reload, no matter what I did.

However, I then installed Scriptish, and instaled it using that, by going to Tools>Scriptish>Manage User Scripts and selecting Install User Script From File.

As to it showing CURRENT rather than the actual name of the sub-category, yes, I see it is doing that in Firefox, though it behaves as expected in Chrome.  But the results are identical.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.