Which laptop do I choose? Lenovo G770 or Asus N73S?

Isis Firebrand

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I am in the market for a new laptop, nothing too fancy around £600/£650, my trusty old HP Pavilion is slowly dieing and SL is just soo damn slow on it now! 

But I am scared of what to choose in case it will not run SL, when i bought my first laptop, a toshiba, i had to change it straight away as sl would not run on it! This has made me wary of future choices!

Anyway the specs for the Lenovo are as follows 

i3-2330M or i5-2430m 8GB 750GB AMD 6650M 2G

and the Asus

i5-2430  6GB   640GBS NVIDIA Ge - Force GT 540M (1GB dedicated)

On paper the lenovo seems to beat asus, but i hear that the asus build quality is excellent and the speakers are bang & olufsen.

Any opinion is gratefully recieved!

Both are mid-range laptops.  Both should run SL fine......but not higher than mid settings for any time period exceeding a few minutes.  Personnally, judging strictly by the dedicated video card, I would opt for the Asus.  The name Asus may be a factor too since my motherboard of choice is always Asus. 

And my vindetta against the new auto-swithcing CPU graphics........it's unproven technology and has had numerous issues with not switching when the demand is high and the program making the demand is OpenGL graphics.  If your compter does not switch, your graphics will be very low.....and SL may not even start for you.  Get some clarification about whether or not AMD and Intel have solved the problem.  It may have been fixed, but I haven't heard anything definite on that front.

Get a cooling pad if you are insisting on a laptop to run SL.

Lenovo (Chinese brand) are former IBM machines, they are less game oriented and much more office use related.

Asus is by far the best choice when it comes to gaming. My thingy is an Asus G50VT (Core2, T9400) with an Nvidia 9800 MGT and it runs SL like a dream.

But... the GT 540M isn't really that well for SL, it only has a video memory bandwidth of 128, and for SL at least 256 really is needed. 128 Is a huge pain for SL. And the 540 does have that bottleneck of 128.

256 Video memory bandwidth... that would be the 560(M) or higher.

The amount of video memory higher than 512 is irrelevent for SL since it hardly uses more than 400 or so. So... Video memory bandwidth is what you should be looking for... that would be 560(M) or higher... or a 98xx (older) Nvidia card which also carries 256. 

If SL runs nowadays is more luck than wisdom since viewer 2.8 anyway. I have spoken many SL users (and read the blogs and forums here) with the latest computers with 580 cards, and they were not too happy to find out that SL has become more and more mega unproportional demanding on hardware.

But all i know is that video memory bandwidth and dedicated video memory are crucial as a general rule. Personally i reverted to viewer 1.23.5. It runs SL smooth on both Core I5 with 560 Nvidia or higher and older core2 with an Nvidia 98xx card.

Should you like it, 1.23.5 can still be downloaded here:

http://www.sensic.nl/PrivateMedia/Second_Life_1-23-5-136262_Setup.exe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.