I just DL'd SL Windows Beta but it is lagging and I can't switch Viewers... ?

ZiyaKatniss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just downloaded the Beta viewer for Windows and not only is the lag REALLY bad, but I can't switch to Viewer 2 either. my internet connection is fast and it's completely fine. I've been living with someone who had a bad connection for the past three months so I haven't used SL, but I'm visiting my mom and it worked here before I left. I didn't have Beta, but it still worked fast and great, and I was able to switch viewers.

2 answers to this question

You probably ought to remember two things:

(1) When you install a new viewer, you have to set all of your Preferences again.  No two viewers behave the same way, so settings that were great on a previous version of your viewer may be rotten for this one, or on a different machine with a different Internet connection.

(2) They call it "Beta" for a reason.  It's not ready for prime time yet.  It's in pre-release test mode.  LL does it this way because it's easier to find out what still needs to be tweaked if you let a few thousand users try to break it.  If you find something that needs improving, post a comment in the Second Life Viewer forum or, better yet, file a JIRA report.

I'm surprised that you can't switch viewers, though.  So long as you were careful to be sure that the two viewers do not share the same cache location on your hard drive, you ought to be able to log out of one and log in with the other one with no problem.  So, what happens when you do that?  What happens when you "can't switch to V2"?

You can add important information to your question by clicking on the Options link in its upper right corner and selecting EDIT.  Please do NOT start a new thread.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.