New Account Restrictions?

Sturm Hellershanks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

Introducing a friend to the joys of SL. He made an account and got his first avie made. Our problem is that *anything* sculpted or object-based he tries to 'wear' is invisible -- both to him and to my client. Normal clothes look fine, but try and attach anything like hair or even a prim box and no one sees it.

Is there a client setting or is this a restriction on 0 day old accounts, or? Age verification or something like that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

We are both using Phoenix as well.

That certainly shouldn't be happening, and my first thought is that your friend isn't actually wearing the items.

What happens if he wears one of the library avatars?  Are the prim components visible then?

/me wonders, in passing, about the wisdom of introducing someone to SL using Phoenix, since it means much of the help available in the wiki and knowledge base about the viewer and how to use it will be confusing or irrelevant, since many features will be unavailable to your friend or work rather differently from the way described.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

/me wonders, in passing, about the wisdom of introducing someone to SL using Phoenix, since it means much of the help available in the wiki and knowledge base about the viewer and how to use it will be confusing or irrelevant, since many features will be unavailable to your friend or work rather differently from the way described.

Phoenix and Firestorm have their own comprehensive wiki and aren't that much different than the SL viewers that most people couldn't figure out instructions on non viewer related subjects in the SL wiki and knowledge base.  And while there are a few things the newest SL viewer has that Firestorm doesn't, its only due to the fact that LL created features come out first in SL viewers and will appear in future releases of TPV.  Most of the "missing' features aren't something a newb would be using right off anyway. Actually Phoenix and Firestorm both have many more features than the SL viewers do.

In addition, many articles in the official SL version of the wiki and knowlege base are STILL showing older versions of  SL Viewers and even V1.23 screens when instructing and illustrating how to do something.  That seems more confusing to me than  having to go to another wiki to get viewer specific instructions.

Hiya Storm,

There aren't any restrictions about what you can wear as a brand newbie.

Your friend could possibly be having problems wearing items because (as Innula suggested) they aren't actually selecting them to wear correctly, or it could even be an issue with that particular sim.  My advice is to persevere patiently, and also, as you are using Phoenix, you could offer some visual aids in the form of the older video tutorials you can seek out on youtube on how to do the basics using a Viewer 1 type of viewer. 

A good starting point maybe ... http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=secondn+life+how+to+&oq=secondn+life+how+to+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=7069l8892l0l9724l20l16l0l11l1l0l158l619l0.5l5l0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.