Why do rendered sculpts lag me so much? i have an i7 processor and a 555m Nvidia GEFORCE 1gb gddr5!!

Prototype Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Why do rendered sculpts lag me so much? i have an i7 processor and a 555m Nvidia GEFORCE 1gb gddr5!! my network connection is rediculously awsome. ive been trying to figure out why i lag so much when an avatar is on my screen, and why they lag me so significantly more if their ARC is high. i didnt have this problem on my old pc, but my new one is an i7, and has an insane graphics card, and ive done a bunch of tests and i cant seem to find why this could possibly be happening. however, i did notice that if i go into the graphics tab in preferences and lower the" mesh detail: Objects" to low(it was on high) it fixes my problem... but my sculpts get really **bleep**ty. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! D:

3 answers to this question

That "insane graphics card" is really not all that "insanely" powerful.  It's actually just about mid range in performance for the nVidia 500 series.  It's also a laptop card which are spec'd a little lower than desktops (to consume less power and save your battery a little).  It doesn't surprise me that you can't show high detail for mesh objects........it's to be expected with a mid range card.  Most graphics have a difficult time with sculpties......mine does.  But it shouldn't take that much longer for the sculpties to rezz......for me that's maybe 50% longer than a regular prim (which is quite tolerable really).  Whoever told you that you have an "insane" graphics card was selling you a bill of goods.......an "insane" graphics card in the 500 series would be a GTX580 or 590 card and you'd pay close to $500 USD for it.

If you are connected wirelessly that will account for quite a bit of the lag you are experiencing.  Nothing to do with your i7 or video card.  A solid 10 mbps connection will give you more than enough bandwidth to run SL..........but ping and packet loss even at a "ridiculously awesome" connection will destroy at the bandwidth for you.  Wireless connections tend to do that.

• Like 1

Seeing the type of your graphics card it is a mid range one.

And having more than 512 Gb videomem DDR3 or DDR5 is irrelevant for SL...

What almost nobody seems to realize is that the memory buswidth connected to the videocard needs to be at least 256 bits wide. The 555M has a 128 or 192 bus. It might just be that your 555 has 128 since sculpties bake so very slow. 

A 256 bits or wider bus comes with Nvidia 560 or higher, or comes with the older Nvidia 98xx range like the 9800 GS or GT. What i do not understand is why Nvidia went back to 128 and 192 when they introduced the new 3 digit card type numbers. It is since the 560 that 256 or higher is offered again, very weird.

A 256 bits bus is a world of difference for rendering sculpties and textures.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.