Landmarks disappeared?

Isa Walmer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I had this argument with a griefer and he said I would "get his weapons even if I didn´t want to" before I muted him..

Thing is 2 days afterwards all my landmarks disappeared as well as my animations but the rest is ok, could it be that he hacked my account?? I never got any object sent or anything like that so I find it weird.. perhaps it was a glitch? has this ever happened to anyone?? thanks in advance!.

edit: I erased the cache of this account (I have another one) and the landmarks didn´t show up.. I didn´t find it in the preferences though, I just followed the Second Life file in my computer and erased them.. I guess I´ll have to grin and bear it :/

3 answers to this question

The liklihood of your account being hacked, in the normal sense of the term, is very small.  Anyone doing that would have to hack the Linden Lab servers, then find your account specifically and muddle around in it.......a griefer is not likly to do that.  However, it is possible that someone logged into your account as your avatar.  They already have half of what they need which is your name so all they have to do is find out your password and they can log in as you.  I would change my password immediately to be safe.

Despite the fact that it is possible that someone guessed your password (I'm assuming you are not silly enough to have given your password to anyone), I don't think that's why your landmarks and animations are "missing".  It's more likely that you have a corrupted cache.  The best way to get your cache cleaned and loaded with all your inventory again is to manually delete it from your computer.  In your preferences on the tab you use to clear your cache, you'll see where the cache is located on your computer in the box showing that location.  Make a note of the location and log off or close your viewer if you haven't logged in.  Navigate to that location on your computer and delete everything in the folder named "Cache".  You can restart your computer if you like but it's not necessary.  Log into SL but instead of logging in at your regular or normal log in place change the log in to a Linden maintained sim such as Pooley, Smith, Aqua or Lime.  Once there take a couple steps away from the landing point to avoid being landed on by arriving avatars.  Open your inventory and watch the items fetched counter......if it didn't start you can force it along by typing sever letters in the search box.  Wait for the counter to fetch everything.  It will say something like "6709 items fetched" when it's done.  Your missing inventory items should be there.

• Like 2

What Peggy said is the best answer, probably your inv didnt load properly, but it is very unlikely that you lost anything. Thing is Isa, loads of people in SL say they are going to do things or generally destroy your SL world in some way but they can't, so just mute and ignore them. Also, if you are going to mute someone, just do it, don't tell them, then go somwehere esle if possible. Have a lovely time in-world. Hugs.

• Like 1

As the others have said, it's highly unlikely this chap is responsible for your missing inventory.   Just about everyone I've ever to cause to remove from property for making nuisance of himself turns out to be some sort of master hacker who's capable of frying my computer at the press of a button, or that's what they tell me, but my computer's still here.

Seriously, it sounds like a problem with fetching your inventory to me.   Are you, by any chance, running two different viewers on your computer?  If you are, it's a very good idea indeed to set up separate caches for each one (Preferences-Advanced), and it's essential if you're running a V1 viewer alongside a more recent one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.