Groups and inactive members....

tribruclud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What about a setting like object loans personal returns in about land settings for groups as well?

If someone wants to set an inactive time limit in days/weeks idea to be auto removed.It may save abit of time for group owners going thru every 3-12 months to do the same thing. Just a thought to see what others think of this.

I'm sure this could be done, the questions are how much of the server  resources need to be used to do all this, what effect this would have on sim performance (lag) and is the value of the feature worth the resources and possible effect on sim performance.  I am  not a programmer, so I can't really say, but it seem it would take a lot and effect sim performance for the worse.  However, I could be wrong.  A programmer would need to give that answer.,

I do know it would not be as simple as determine if an object is set to group as autoreturn now works.

In order to do this, the server would have to track visitors to a sim, compare them to the group roll, determine if they are members of the group and if they are,  record the date and time that they TP out or log out in a database.  This would have to be done constantly for every avatar that arrives on the sim and the database would need to be maintained.

Then when objects were returned, the server would have to periodically check all objects  to see who owns them, see if those owners were on the group roll, then check the database complied by the visitor tracker to see when the last time was that they were there and calculate if the time exceeded the limits set by the owner, and if it did, return the item.

Further, I am sure you would not want all objects set to the group returned or you'd end up with empty land.  Certainly buildings, landscaping, furnishings and other things that make up the venue would need to be flagged individually by the land owner as a permanent object some how because the server could not tell the difference between a chair in the group landing area that is permanent and a chair a group member rezzes that isn't.  The server would then have to check for the flags

If you do some research and find that the feature would not use undue resources, is one that a lot of people would like, and be used enough to justify the cost, then you can file a JIRA for a new feature request. here.  This board is not the place to post them, as LL doesn't really look for feature requests and suggestions here. 

I'm not real sure why having inactive members affects anything to begin with. Why would you want to remove them? I mean unless you have specifications in your group that require constant, or consistant, activity, what would it matter if some were inactive and others not?

I think for most groups, there aren't such restrictions, so removing inactive members would likely be more hassle than it's worth. I've been a member of a few groups since this particular av was created (and an earlier av, even longer), and not necessarily been "active" in them. But that doesn't mean I don't want to be in them, or should be removed. Most groups don't require any kind of activity, per se', to be in them at all. For the groups that do require it, you'd need some kind of way to measure activity anyway so a manual removal should be relatively simple.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.