can i buy a sim with unpayed tier from it's curunt owner?

yonatan Whiteberry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want to buy a sim from another resident who has not paid his tier sense march 2011 and I don't want to be responsible to his debt , so I like to know if I can buy it and if I can will I have to pay his debt and that of Corse something I don't like to do.

It's a privet sim and as strange as it sounds the owner talled me over the phone he stoped paying for it but the sim is still up and running.

he dosnt want any thing more then the transfer fee that dose not go to him at all but to linden labs but i like to know if all he sayed was true then when i pay the transfer fee then will i have to pay alot of money to LL for his debt as weired as it sounds i have no answer to this

Again i do not intend of "renting" the sim but to transfer it under my name as the future estate owner and not just another name in the estate manager list

5 answers to this question

You are asking for a private region, ok? (because there is no Mainland Land with debt and there is no sell of whole private regions with the owner unpaying to Linden Lab LOL). If it's a private region I assume you are asking for RENT land to the landowner. You can rent that land and you have no obligation of previous renters. In any case, read carefully the covenant, maybe the landowner is a very odd landowner :)

• Like 1

Hello yonatan. Yes you can buy a Private Estate if you can handle the cost (calculate about 7,500L$ / week for a homestad and 19,000-20,000L$ for a full sim / week). When we say buy, we mean rent from another resident who got the land from LL, although you get most of the owner's rights. Irene's suggestion about conevant, landowner, etc is very very important! Choose a place where you have infos about the landowner and especially for the customer support. Maybe it would be a company / real estate where your friends rent too. If you find something randomly, you risk of course. We are full here of threads and complaints for bad and absent landowners, so be careful. Good luck.

A property transfer does have a cost (100 US$), but you will not be responsible for the previous owner's fees payments. Make sure with the seller the transfer transaction is absolutely clear and honest. See the following from the wiki:

Transfer fees

There is a USD$100 (or L$28,000 for L$ transfers) region transfer fee, debited from the seller's account, which pays for the backend work by Linden Lab, including:

• Changing estate ownership settings
  • Billing transfer
  • Region name change
  • Moving the region

Monthly billing

The new owner assumes the monthly billing, which is charged on the same day of the month as always. Private Regions, unlike the mainland, bill for the coming month. If the Private Region bills on, say, the 12th of the month, it will continue to bill on the 12th of the month. This means that if the Private Region is transferred on the 14th, the current owner pays for that month. If the Private Region is transferred on the 10th, the new owner pays the fee for the month.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-Private-Regions/ta-p/700115

• Like 2

Be sure you know what kind of transaction you are getting into.

The way to actually BUY a private region from the current estate owner is for you both to file support tickets with LL.  You pay LL the money.  Do NOT pay the seller directly.  When the transfer is complete, LL will release the funds to the seller.  After the purchase, you will pay the monthly fee directly to LL.  See this page for details of this process. 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-Private-Regions/ta-p/700115#Section_.3

You can also "buy" a region, either from the estate owner or from the current tenant.  In this case, the estate owner is *still the owner of record with LL*  You are not really buying the region, but renting it from the estate owner.

EDIT:  On re-reading your post, you seem to be aware of this, and what you are doing is the region transfer I mentioned at first.  You will not be responsible for any back payments to LL, only the purchase price and the transfer fee.  I am curious, though, as to why LL has allowed a sim to remain on grid with tier unpaid since last March.  Their usual procedure is to delete the region when the owner becomes delinquent.  My guess would be that the owner actually HAS been paying tier on it, through automatic credit card payments, even if he is not aware of it.

God don't be stupid! Don't do it

A Sim after you buy it is worth nothing in Secondlife. It's like giving a stranger 1,000 USD free, for a full class 5 sim.

It's just part of the Linden labs Directors & Managers on-going fraud. Research the amount of abandoned virtual land in SL.

It is more visual/obvious on what they call the mainland, they hide Sims and homestead info for abandoned virtual land.,

But those that know SL know it is thousands of homestead sim abandoned.

After paying for your virtual sim/land then you'll rent it from the Linden lab fraudsters for $295.00. USD a month. (class 5 sim)

Be late in payments and they take your supposed land you paid for in no time.

They will knowly sell you virtual land and are quite aware it be worth nothing for you to resell.

Nathan Pollock

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.