form action for posting to my.secondlife.com/avatar.name

Cold Spitteler

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Hello Cold,

Chatting directly or posting directly to an avatar in SL from a Web Page Form is not a supported feature the last time I checked the LSL function library. The use of an intermediate object is required such as a IM Relay Object which uses one of the available methods to keep an open communication with the outside world such as:

1) Posting an email message from a rezzed object in a region, to a known email address. That keeps an email reply "thread" open for 48 hours that you can respond to via an email function interface in your form. But the communication has to be started by the avatar or object in SL first. I guess the email account becomes a kind of poor mans database in this case.

2) You can also use a method similar to what the Hippo Technology group does with their IM message service. They maintain a external to SL database of avatar names and UUIDs. The web form calls a php script that does a database look up of the avatar information and formats a http request reply transaction to send to the one of the "owned" and "rezzed in-world" IM boxes. That box has to look for a message to pass-on on a scheduled basis from an external database source. It then formats an llInstantMessage to the indicated avatar using the "UUID" & "message text" as an argument.

I researched this all when thinking about writing a leasing system for my islands.

You can post a message to the web site message queue for the avatar as Angel has noted. At this time no notice is presented in-world that you have a message pending on the website. The avatar still has to "look" at the page using the Profile View in the viewer. I hope this will be addressed soon by LL.

Good Luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.