Need help with making a Walking animation

Mahaila Viper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've someone who wants a slow walking animation, I've made her one and left the arms with no positioning at all so that she could use another animation override to move the arms, for hand gestures or playing a guitar for example yet when she uses the animation, the arms do what they're supose to but there's a serious jitter along with it.

The animation is set to priority 4 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sorry, I think I missunderstood. You see jitter in the arms when both your walking animation and the arm animation are both running? If just the arm animation runs do you still see jitter? You have to track down what is animatting the jitter, e.g. Is it in time with any other bone movement? When you left the arms unposed did that include the collar bones? If you leave all the arm bones in the default T pose then those bones should be removed from the animation when you upload it. Any other animation should then control the arms. Where it could get messy is if your walk twists the spine as this will swing the arms

Ok, you might consider this my opinion, but this is really a priority problem. The walk should be fully animated, and uploaded as a priority 3. The same goes for a run. If the person holds an ice cream cone, the animation in the ice cream cone should be a priority 4 and only animate the arm. The standing animations inside an AO, should be priority 1 or 2. Using this combination of animations and priorities allows everything to work perfectly together. All gestures, talking, typing, holding, or action type of animations should be uploaded with priority 4.

I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

You're the animation expert here, so I guess I'm missing something.

Lots of objects have a single call for the animation, let's say that's the icecream. Now if you have a priority 4 walk, you'll lower your arms when you start walking and they'll stay that way when you stop (no matter how high the icecream priority), until you rewear your icecream or otherwise retrigger that animation. If you put the icream animation on a timer, the icecream and walk will fight for priority during walking, giving horrible results.

Isn't it wiser to make the walks priority 3? That's what I do and it seems to work fine.

Allow me to pick your brains a  bit Medhue (you have been a huge help to me while learnign thiss btw, just in case I haven't thanked you enough :matte-motes-big-grin-squint: )

So- I am making a Bridal Walk. I read what you said here, loaded the walk portion as a priority 3. The legs, knees, feet and abdomen have movement. The upper body including the hips are all at zero.  I loaded that into an AO. I did not include a stand or sit or fly or any of that as it is not relevant. No big deal to add a stand if necessary btw. The Hold Bouquet portion I did upload as a 4 with legs and hips and abdomen all at zero.  The upper body is the only one with changes, for example the neck and head rotate a littleso the bride can look around. I believe the chest is locked - wd need to verify.

Problem, the Hold Bouquet portion seems to woork fine however the walking is just not kicking in. I keep getting the default duck-walk rather the hopefully more graceful walk I intended. Suggestions not oly welcome but begged for :).

To OP, sorry for slight derail but seemed the theme was similar enough to add to this thread.  Thanks everyoone in advance.

Ok, I think i was vague about 1 point. There is no need to not animate the upper body in the walk. Because the Bouquet is of a higher priority. It is actually better to not set any parts to zero for a walk, but you should play around with this cause I can't try everything, lol. If you don't want the upper body to sway like a normal walk does, you might consider animating the chest in the Bouquet to not sway as much. This could get tricky tho, so play around with it. Priority 3 is kind of weird, but I think your problem is not animating the hips. Don't ask me why this works this way, I'm guessing it has to do with the skeleton and that the legs are connected to the hips.

It always gives me a high to see that I have helped some1. Probably why I keep trying to help. Plus, I never know when I'm wrong or if there is a better way, and some1 can come along and correct me. I think it makes all of SL, and other worlds, better when everything works well together, especially between animators. Thank you!

I will give this a try again tonight, however, when I first made the walk, I was adding a little hip sway by animating the hips. This, uploaded at priority 3 resulted in the floating effect.  As I write this I am wondering however if the stand I used had a priority 4 on it...

ALright something else to check tonight. I sure hope that does it and I will report back or come cry some more.  Thanks once again!

Medhue..

Argh- so- I added a slight hip displacement in all key positions- re-uploaded, and.... Nothing- Zip - Nada.

Argh.. so, much head banging later and I start looking at the Hold pose again. On a lark I unlocked the collar bones and re uploaded that. So - now we have a Walk!!! Yay! Success you say! Well.. I am racing across the sim like I am on speed- the walk is kicked in- I am not duck walking, I am holding bouquet - all is well - except for my fast foward appraoch to the bridal procession and of course that won't do...

Back to the drawing board- I then  clipped my animation waaaaay down and am going to try that next....

Stay tuned folks.

Curioser and curioser...

I went to the Hold animation and cleared the collar bones. When I did that and reuploaded it at priority 4 . Placed it in the Bouquet with trigger on attach script,  the walk Walks. I made the walk animation shorter in hopes that wd make it slower- I think it did but may need more twaeking i am really going nuts here.

To add insult to injury, now the left arm jerks like crazy when I walk and I dont have a damn clue what else to do- if I lock the collar bone the walk doesnt function at all. If I unlock it, the left arm is all jerky- not the right arm at all, mind  you, just the left.  And they both have the exact same parameters but mirrored.

I barely have any prim hair left to pull~

If you want to meet up inside SL, just IM me inworld. I'm usually on and off line at various times, but if some1 IMs me, I usually see the IM right away and I'll jump online. The only reason I say to meet in SL, is that I can show you some things that might address some of the issues that you are talking about. I don't have these items in Inworldz yet.

Thank you Medhue- is an evening hour possible? I am EST and work in the day time. I will upload my fails to SL so you can see them there if you wish or you can pop over to IW also to see my problem. I am free to meet you tonight in either world if you have time.

I really appreciate your help more than I can express.

• 2 years later...

Mariela Merchiston wrote:

Hi i need some program for make walks animation some one can help me?

There are many programs you could use, but for walks specifically, you might want to try Poser. It has a build in walk creator. You could probably pick up an old version of Poser for about $25-$50.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.