Land Bans

Jalea Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4523 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been banned from several places and don't know why. Most of them I was their only a few moments looking for lucky chairs or to look for an application. I have severe lag problems and wonder if this could be causing it. I get no answer from landowners when I ask; its almost as though its some kind of an auto-ban .... Does anyone have an explanation for this?

4 answers to this question

You're a product of bad luck or there's more to this story than you've told.  A landowner (or property manager) can ban anyone they choose and not have a reason for doing so.....maybe they didn't like your name.  You'll run into those types occassionally (we all do).  But getting banned from several places, seemingly, in a short period of time is unusual (it could happen though).  You experiencing lag won't get you banned because the lag is with your vieweer and affects no one else but you.  If, however, you and your avatar are the source of the lag (heavily scripted, crazy large textures, or prims loaded on your avatar might get you kicked out of a few places.  Owners and their managers have others to think of besides you so they might just boot you out if you are causing others difficultly in the sim. 

What I really think is that there's something (maybe a lot) you aren't saying.  Businesses and land owners don't generally boot people for the fun of it (yeah a few might, but not several in a short period of time)

• Like 1

You mention your lag problems.    Some places use -- and, to my mind, it's a very poor design concept, but so are many things -- so-called "anti-bot" technology that purports to catch bots by popping up dialog menus that ask you "are you a bot?" or something similar, and assume you are if you don't reply promptly.   One of the obvious flaws in such a system is that if you miss the question, or don't answer it in time, because it's taking you too long to rez,  you'll get wrongly tagged as a bot.

I'm not saying that's the reason, but it could be.    Or you've somehow got yourself on some sort of shared ban list.

• Like 2

They might have thought you were a bot and banned you. If you were entering adult areas and are a "shorter" avi, you may have been scanned by a height-detector and tossed for being too short. It's also possible that you appeared nude, if your clothing wasn't rezzing properly, and were banned for "indecent exposure" in a G or even M sim.

See if anyone responds to you. See if the ban fades in a few days. If not, try to contact the sim owners again. You may have gotten yourself on a shared banlist for something; word travels. It could have been something you did, or not.

I do get the feeling, for some reason, that there is more you aren't telling us. Regardless, the only ones who can lift the bans are the land owners.

• Like 1

i have run into automatic banning systems that will offer to ban my avatar because of hair, shoes, radar, AO, face light, mega poofer, dragon avatar, etc.  All these items may contribute to lag I am told so I have been more prudent in their use. I usually will receive a warning and in most cases simply by complying with the owners wishes I have been reinstated. Loitering can also lead to a ban if the residents complain to the owner. I hope this is useful for you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4523 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.