Permissions?

Lumychan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I was reading what permissions were in the wiki and I have a question:

I'm currently building something and I decided to add to my creation an item that I got on the marketplace for free. The item says copy, modif, no trans.

I went to see what no transform was, but I'm confused:

DOes no transform mean I cannot incorporate the item onto my creation (which I intend to sell)? Note that the item I'm incorporating was distributed for free.

How does this work, exactly?

No transfer with mod means you can incorporate it to your own work but that only you can posses that work in that you cannot transfer or sell that work.

Copy - make as many copies as you want

Modify - Modify the object in any way you want

Transfer - give it or sell it to someone else

Note on Pocket Perms (Hidden perms on things like scripts and animations): Though the prims in the creation may have have certian rights that allow you to transfer, mod, etc, the scripts or animations may not.  To tell what has what rights to, you need to rezz the object and check each prim to be sure.

A bit of advice when using something that was made my someone else, especially a freebie is that, though you may have it for free, I don't advice trying to sell someone else's creations unless you have permission to do so.  It may not get you banned in itself but you sure wont make any friends.

Lumychan wrote:

So, in order for me to incorporate something into my creation, the item has to have the persimission to modify and transform?

No because:

1. There is no such thing as 'transform'; it's TRANSFER (ie; to another person)
  2. You probably don't need to modify it at all if it's an animation, sound, script, texture, etc. etc.
  3. YOU can incorporate anything YOU own into YOUR things

Stick with me on this because this is where it becomes difficult:

• MODIFY persmission allows you to modify the item (ie; change it)
  • COPY permission allows you to rez or otherwise make multiple copies of the item (without this you lose it from inventory as soon as you use it)
  • TRANSFER permission allows you to transfer ownership of the item to another avatar.

If you want to buy things to re-sell that means you need TRANSFER permission, otherwise you can't transfer it to your customer.  Unless you want to buy one for every single item you sell you'll also want COPY permission.  Anything for which you have COPY + TRANSFER permission lets you make as many copies for as many avatars as you like so is effectively FULL PERMissionS, even if it is NO MODify.  Animations, sounds, textures, etc. can't be modified in-world anyway so you only need MODIFY permission for objects, scripts, notecards and gestures (and anything else I've forgotten)

Lumychan wrote:

So, in order for me to incorporate something into my creation, the item has to have the persimission to
modify
and
transform
?

You keep on saying transform but it is transfer which is something different:smileywink:

In fact the object only have to give you transfer rights.

If that is all you have it can be transferred once.

If you want to keep a copy after it is transferred it has to give you copy and transfer rights.

If you want to change it to adapt it to you item you must have modify, copy and transfer rights

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.