Where does the Blender exports go?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you mean while using Blender, they go wherever you nominate as the destination folder. If you don't select a specific path they will probably go to the default Blender directory wherever you installed that. In any case a dialog panel pops up to tell you the file path.

If you mean exporting a sculpt mesh from SL, again, they go where you tell them to go.

Otherwise, you need to expand/clarify your query.

Josh, remember in that other thread, when we walked, step by step by ever loving step, through the import process?  Well, the export process is EXACTLY the same, only in reverese.

Please follow along with this, and report where exactly you're getting stuck.

1.  Assuming you have not changed your UI layout from its default setup, you should see the world "File" in the upper left corner.  Click that now, and the File menu will pop open.

2.  The third item from the bottom of the File menu will be the word "Export".  Hover your mouse over that, and a submenu will appear, showing all the kinds of files you can export.  The first item is "COLLADA (.dae)".  Click that.

3.  The file browser will now open, so you can choose where to save the exported file.  On the left, under where it says "System", you will see all your hard drives listed.  Click on one of them to select it.

4.  On the right, you will see all the folders that exist on the drive you picked.  Click on one of the folders to select it, and then click the "Export COLLADA" button in the upper right corner.

5.  In Windows Explorer, navigate to that same folder.  Your .dae file will be there.

This is the same process you will follow when exporting any file from any program that has standard export capabilities.

Your post about reinstalling appeared as I was typing my earlier reply.  I'm glad you got it worked out.

To answer your new question, you should not have to reinstall Blender, or any other program, AT ALL, once it's been properly installed the first time. From this thread, and from what you wrote in the other thread, my guess is something is VERY wrong with your Windows configuration.  That's really the only explanation.

How often do you defrag your hard drives?  (And I mean a real defrag, using software that is up to the task, such as Diskeeper, or O&O Defrag, not the defragmenter included with Windows, which doesn't do much.)  To keep you computer reliable, you should be defragging all its hard drives at least once a month, preferably once a week.  (Diskeeper degrags automatically in background at all times, so you never have to worry about it, by the way.)  So you know, SL can be really brutal on hard drives, as it is constantly writing and rewriting files.

How certain are you that your registry is in good shape?  When was the last time you cleaned it?  CCleaner is a nice free utility for this.  I'd suggest you use it.

How sure are you that your system is free of malware?  What anti-virus and anti-spyware programs do you use, are they up to date, are they set to protect your system in real time, and when was the last time you performed a system wide manual scan with them?

How certain are you that all your device drivers are properly installed, up to date, and properly configured?  When was the last time you updated them?  Did you do it by hand, or did you make the so often fatal mistake of letting Windows Update do it for you?  So you know, the way to update a driver is first to restart your computer in Safe Mode, and completely uninstall the existing one, either by hand if you know how, or via automation with Driver Cleaner or Driver Sweeper.  Then restart normally, and install the newer driver.  Installation of a newer driver on top of an older one is among the most common causes of  the most common computing problems.

Owning a computer is just like owning a car.  If you don't maintain it, it's not going to work properly.

Once again, I'm going to ask you to drop the sarcasm, drop the antagonistic attitude.  If and when you need help, just ask for it politely.  There's no need to try to piss other people off, just because you're feeling frustrated yourself.  Patience, Grasshopper.

I only do the maintenance on my computer that the computer suggests I do for it, when it suggests maintenance, which tends to be about twice a month one way or another.

I know someone who can get it cleaned up, but he's the same person who insisted on installing all the cracked software I almost immediately decided not to use.

Anything more expensive than a 3-button mouse is going to have to wait untl after I get the 3-button mouse.

Seriously, though, all that seems to have gone wrong this time was that the export menu command did not lead to the next thing, so it left me with the impression that it was exporting to an unspecified default location.

After the reinstall, there seems to be no problem.

I'm sorry I got anyone else involved in this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.