Q for Mac Blender users

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How stable/buggy do you find Blender 2.59 - 2.61 for Mac? 

I have put a lot of time in learning Blender and I like it, but I would say about 60% of the time I have to deal with some bug. I end up having to switch versions, or export and reimport as .obj, etc.

I am downloading Cinema 4D now because I keep hearing it is pretty good.

I will just mention some things today:

First I baked a texture in 2.59 and got this result, which I have gotten before:

Screen shot 2011-12-21 at 5.18.13 PM.png

So I switched to 2.61. But there was no bake option and the materials window had no options:

Screen shot 2011-12-21 at 12.13.45 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-12-21 at 12.13.45 PM.png

Also, when I mirrored one mesh, the mesh on a separate object developed double faces down the middle.

That's all just within a few minutes; there is a lot more. It is hard enough as a novice to learn a program like this -- and I do like Blender -- without spending so much time trying to figure out if I have done something or whether the program or file is bugged (for Mac). I can spend days trying to figure out what I have done wrong, only to send the file to Nacy, who has a PC, and on opening it is fine.  (Although sometimes it is not fine for her either, I suspect when the file itself is corrupted.)

Hmm. I never have seen these problems. But ok, i am on a PC as well (windows 7). What makes me wonder: one of the lead developers of Blender (actually THE lead developer as far as i know) works on a Mac. I think they might be very interested in knowing about your issues.

I myself have been filing a lot of bugs and proposals to them over the years and many of them have been approved. So they do care, although sometimes it takes a while :)

C4D is a pretty good program and works flowless with Mac. Last year I did a course 3D producer in rl. This multi media college introduced me to C4D. In the class were a lot of people who had worked with Maya or 3D Max, but choose to step over to C4D, and none of them returned.

The name Cinema 4D says a lot.  4D, the fourth dimension, which is time. That is specialy a strong point in C4D. When it comes to working with this fourth dimension, like in making 3d animations or movies.

But to make content for Second Life you don't have to do with this 4th dimension at all. So the extra why some people step over to C4D is not of additional value for SL. When it comes to modeling, once you can do it in one program, you can do it in all of them. Apart from C4D I still use Blender. For modeling it's exact the same, except you use different shortcuts. For modeling or other you stuff you might want to do, like working with rigs, Blender is as powerfull as C4D, 3D Max, Maya and so on.

I haven't seen any of the issues in Blender that you see on the Mac. I actually don't come across many bugs, but that may simply be that I don't use the program as much as you, and others, do.

I'm still on 2.59 (don't remember the exact build number atm). I'm waiting a while before I upgrade to a Cycles enabled version of Blender, and one where the rigged mesh rotation issue is fixed (assuming, perhaps wrongly, it is a Blender issue). If I want to upload rigged mesh, I use a 2.58 build where the mesh rotation problem does not exist.

Are you using the Blender internal rendering engine for baking? Also, does it make a difference if you don't use the compositor to process the rendering result?
(ETA: I know you won't be able to bake specular highlights without using the compositor, but it could show whether this using the compositor is an issue.) 

Have you tried reloading the Blender factory settings lately? (And then change the preferences to your liking)

- Luc -

I have blender for mac and PC.  My PC is slower, but has photoshop so I switch between the 2 very frequently when working.

I have used several versions from 2.49 to 2.61 and have had no issues what so ever.  there are no problems on the mac that are not on the PC.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.