Weird Texture problems and crashes

MistyWraine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just updated SLV today and now it seems any texture that is on a prim flashes and changes textures or colors or goes invisible or whatever, and when i try and change my graphics settings from low to anything else it crashes the entire program.  Does anyone know whats going on or how to fix this?

Without anything else to go on, I would say you have a graphics issue.  The most probable reason it just now showed up with the newest viewer is that the features that the new viewer has went beyond your graphics adapter's abilities.  You can try updating your graphics drivers but I doubt that's going to help.......go back to the viewer you were using before you upgraded to the new one.

If possible can you start up the viewer and change your graphics setting before logging into sl, if it indeed does crash when you go to log in then it will more then likely be a graphic issue,  check your card is in need of an update from the respected vendors.

P.S. Post your hardware details when it comes down to issues like these.

3.2.4 looks the same to the user, but much of the rendering language has been radically changed because the previous versions had serious problems with newer video cards and drivers.  If you're having problems try getting the latest drivers from your video card manufacturer.

The automatic updating is a setting in "Preferences" - it defaults to automatic updating but you can go to "Preferences" - "Setup" and change the button saying "Install Automatically" to "Download and install updates manually." That also lets you save the installation file of each version so you can go back easily.

The new viewer is not mandatory.  It can not be mandatory as long as there third party viewers avalable (even encouraged) for use by any resident.  There is an option in your preferences that you may want to take a look at.......it's the option (on the general tab I believe).  You can opt to automatically download and install any new viewer SL has if you are using Viewer 2 or 3.  Just like there's the option with your Windows operating system to download and install any update to the OS.  Both Windows and Second Life default to automatically "upgrade" with a new version is out..........you can change that to manually install updates (for both Windows and SL).  I'm of the mind that anyone who opts to have any software take it upon itself to do anything without me first saying to do it is serverely lacking in understanding both security issues and performance issues.......that's merely my opinion and you can do as you want.  But you were not forced to do anything..........you simply took the easy way out so that you didn't have to do anying thinking on your own (Let Linden Lab or Microsoft do the thinking for me kind of attitude).

You can revert back to the next to the latest viewer by going to the viewer download page on the SL website.  Or if you had saved the setup file from your last viewer (as, again, my opinion says you should always do) you just have to uninstall what you have installed right now and run that setup file again.  Change your preferences before you log in this time........you won't have that problem again.

By putting in the code graphics features that were not present in the earlier viewer that your computer and graphics have to deal with (whether or not you are using those features, your system has to deal with them).  Shadows and mesh are both new features that most onboard graphics adapters (IGP's) cannot handle.........a GMA 945 chipset won't even allow you to log in (the viewer simply shuts down as soon as you hit "login").  That's how any program can get ahead of a computer's system....it outgrows your hardware so you have to do something about your hardware or find a work around.  The easiest work around is use an older viewer that does not contain the code that makes your hardware obsolete.

I am having this weird flickering texture problem, everytime i cam or move things flicker and flash on my screen, I even tried tweaking graphic settings to low, didnt work. This laptop I'm on is roughly three months to four months old so I doubt it was the graphics and had someone whos familiar with programming and scripting, rebuilds computer etc look at the screen and he informed me it was on LL's end and not mine.... as scripts is trying to show when shouldnt. any explaination? I cant even resize my viewer window and I tried the arrows thing and it wont resize at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.