why does linden labs not accept prepaid visa cards

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

All card payments to Linden Lab are processed through a European payments processor called Dragonfish (whose main business is processing payments for online games and online gambling sites). Linden Lab may not accept prepaid cards because Dragonfish doesn't, or because they've asked Dragonfish not to (many businesses won't accept prepaid cards, and I'm not entirely sure why), or because something is broken in payment processing and isn't working the way it is supposed to (of which neither the Lab nor Dragonfish might be aware). Dragonfish's support of payment methods to the Lab has been a bit spotty in the past.

My best suggestion would be to contact the Lab's billing support. They can tell you which of the three options it is, and if it isn't caused by a matter of policy, they may be able to get things fixed.

Call billing and ask what the problem is.  It must be something with your account or the specific card.  LL does accept pre paid cards as I know a number of people that use them. 

It could possibly you card company.  At one time the special debit card I use that is tied to an account that only has my 'online' money in it all of a sudden stopped working.  Upon investigation, I found my bank had put a hold on payments because there was a suspicion of fraud.  All of the sudden the bank got payment requests from Europe when LL changed processors when they knew I was in the states.  So they acted in my best interest there and it only took me a phone call to the bank to get it fixed.

If you can't get your situation resolved,  you may need to just use another card from another issuer.

Same yjing happsnsd fo me ticked me off because i specifically bought them to ise jere. I called billing and they aill not accept prepaid. Only regular cc's or debit card. Or verified paypal accountswhich apparentlly means its attatched to your bank account as well.

Linden Lab uses a company called 888/Dragonfish for payments processing. Specific limitations on exactly which payment methods that are supported or unsupported (on any given day) seem to be down to the payment processor and what they're choosing or able to support, based on a number of factors (including which methods have the highest fraud or chargeback rates associated with them).

I know that's not a terribly helpful response, but that's how it works.

I have lots of friends in holland and they cant use there prepaid cards to get lindens like they used to as they dont have a debit card or paypal so i guess alot will be leaving secondlife in may 2013 i guess thats what linden labs is looking for since the new TOS update less people so they can shut all this down ? is that the case Linden labs ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.