Problem loading second life

Muwse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have just joined Second Life, earlier this week, and from the beggining, have been unable to actually up load it.

I run windows 7, have 495 download speed, lots of memory.  Below are the five items that come up one by one, until the final one.. which ends try 1.... then disappears!

loading second life
detecting hardware
initialising vhs
gathering hardware information
sending to server try1

Pleas help, want to get started!

marian

Sorry, cant answer on both your replys of help for me below!  Tried both options, did total clean up, went everywhere in this thing to delete all of SL, reinstalled, nothing, so then tried the idea below, thank you, installed the firestorm, even that refuses to open up for me, so am letting it go for this evening, and try again in the morning, delete the latter option, try again, and then just scream! Loudly!! thanks for your help though.

marian

3 answers to this question

Hello Muwse and welcome to SL Forums. If your viewer is stuck when you try to run it at Initilizing textures...... is possible to fix your problem if you delete all contests at the following folder: C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife

• About Windows paths: C:\ = Your hard disk, you find it if you open "My computer". Where you see backslash, follows a folder into the previous one
  • Usually the folder Appdata is a hidden folder. (Windows Tools \ Folder Options \ View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders)
  • Like 1

Hi, Marian -- 

If the procedure that Angel recommended doesn't work, you may have a viewer that was somehow damaged as it was downloaded, or as it was installed.  Instead of simply reinstalling a new copy on top of the existing one, I recommend doing a clean reinstall.  That invloves being sure to erase all traces of the current one first, so that you don't inherit glitched files in the new installation.  You will find good, detailed instructions for doing this at >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_clean_reinstall .  Those instructions are for the Firestorm viewer (an excellent alternative to the LL viewer, BTW), but they will work for any viewer -- although some file names will be slightly different.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.