Do we file support tickets for mesh?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wondering if LL has people providing support for mesh, in addition to this forum for customer-supplied support?  Is there a troubleshooting page (like for example for uploading problems and error messages)?

I have poked around on all the LL mesh pages that might provide troubleshooting info and have not found what I am looking for -- so I am wondering should I just file a support ticket?

I dunno if it would help filing a ticket? Though, I wouldn't expect any competent help from that. For mesh specific questions, it may be best to add a question to the weekly content creation user group agenda. There are the Lindens who actually coded the mesh stuff. Although, even these guys can't answer any question to your complete satisfaction.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Content_Creation/Mesh_Import_User_Group

IMHO, it's we, the users of mesh, who can help best. Because we went through most of the trouble already.  A lot of the Second Life Wiki is written by users anyway. But, we can't fix anything, too.

Though, maybe just file a ticket and see what happens. Doesen't  hurt.

Thank you. I have tried twice to log into that page to add things to the agenda, and am not able to log in. No idea why.

I do have specific questions -- a LOT of them -- and will no doubt continue to have them. I like to do due diligence finding whatever answers are already out there, before I come begging in the forum. The problem is that I haven't found a good up to date central location for troubleshooting. Information is strewn all over. The answers to my questions are probably there somewhere, but I can't find them. Forum members may be able to answer many questions, but what is LL's role in supporting mesh? There is quite a lot of SL-specific information that one must know to upload anything with a decent PE, yet that information is not made easily available and accessible. 

ETA:  I have submitted a ticket asking my question.  I guess I will find out if LL is providing support for mesh or not.

Gaia Clary wrote:

regarding login, i found some strange issues with the password. Maybe check for

• special characters
  • password too long
  • case of characters in the Password

Also case of characters in the username seems relevant.

Thanks -- I tried to put in my name properly capitalized but Firefox, I guess, will not let me do it. It reverts it to no caps.  I will try Safari, see if that helps.

ETA: It did :-)

If you think something is broken, it's usually best to first ask here, and then file a ticket if you get confirmation.

If you have questions about how something works, why something seems illogical, or why some functionality seems to be missing, it's also good to post here.

As Arton said, the creators who watch this forum are highly knowledgable of the ins-and-outs of mesh development. They're also thoughtful and professional.

We Lindens do watch the forums and respond when we think it can be helpful (or when I get a chance to mock the viewer 1.x luddites). We also watch for indications of what we should be focusing on. This leads me to...

I understand that we don't have good workflow documentation, or best practices. I can say that we won't be doing any doc for the 3rd party tools like Blender, Maya, 3ds, hexagon, etc. We don't have the expertise in-house for that. We would love to do some to cover the point from (for example), "where do I get my LoD and collision models" to "what object should be the primary one in a linkset, and what are the different collision types".

I'm currently discussing possible solutions to this with my documentation folk, and you'll be hearing more from me about this in the near future.

Charlar

Charlar Linden wrote:

If you think something is broken, it's usually best to first ask here, and then file a ticket if you get confirmation.

If you have questions about how something works, why something seems illogical, or why some functionality seems to be missing, it's also good to post here.

As Arton said, the creators who watch this forum are highly knowledgable of the ins-and-outs of mesh development. They're also thoughtful and professional.

We Lindens do watch the forums and respond when we think it can be helpful (or when I get a chance to mock the viewer 1.x luddites). We also watch for indications of what we should be focusing on. This leads me to...

I understand that we don't have good workflow documentation, or best practices. I can say that we won't be doing any doc for the 3rd party tools like Blender, Maya, 3ds, hexagon, etc. We don't have the expertise in-house for that. We would love to do some to cover the point from (for example), "where do I get my LoD and collision models" to "what object should be the primary one in a linkset, and what are the different collision types".

I'm currently discussing possible solutions to this with my documentation folk, and you'll be hearing more from me about this in the near future.

Charlar

Thank you -- I understand that I can come here for help, but as I am sure you are very well aware, it's not the most efficient way to do it. But if you are preparing to provide documentation, then I can just be patient. :-) (And bug this forum until they are sick of it.)

Yes, there are people in this forum who are very well qualified to produce high quality documentation (and some already have started).

I do understand LL has no responsibility to teach people how to model anything --  but only to provide information that is SL-specific. However, regarding the error messages -- some sort of key about what the problem is and how to correct it would be very helpful.

(I would indeed like to know "what object should be the primary one in a linkset, and what are the different collision types".) 

• 3 months later...

I have purchased a pair of mesh boots full permissions, and am trying to attach some of my full permission nano prims and it look like they are attaching but when I put the boot on they do not show? How do I attach to mesh?

Had a this discussion with live SL chat… in the end he told me to send in a ticket.. I then did a search and seen your reply about “should I file a ticket about mesh” and thought maybe you could help me. Is it possible to attach prims to mesh? See above for example :smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.