TPVs and Games

Aeon Voom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think the crashing issue is not even the problem. But i do see what you mean

From what i hear and feel the TPV developers generally invest more time into their viewers with faster updates.

But i doubt this is all true. LL makes the basecode all these TPVs use. So they sure do alot of work on it as well.

The real problem is that there is currently a gap between LL and the users in that regard. And LL is simply not able to close this gap in making a viewer the majority of the residents accept.

I personally never use 3rd party viewers for security reasons. After the Cryo and Emerald mess. No thanks.

From a developers standpoint, I thought the whole open source idea was a mistake from the beginning. Anyone with half a wit could see it would cause the exact issues we all see now. Viewer based copy bots, easy GPU extracting and theft, inworld content conflicts where different people see different things. It's a developers nightmare.

I know theft would exist either way, but when more than 50% of the user base can press a button in a TPV to copy something? Then why would any developer dedicate time to creating quality content? It's a simple cause and effect and the community suffers for it.

As a developer myself, one of the only reasons I'm still in SL after 6 years has been scripting. And the potential for games that make use of external php/database for gaming still holds some value. Not to mention the new gaming options that LL is working on.

But even that has it's threats.

So I can't say I'm a fan of TPV's. Again it would all exist anyhow, but I don't believe it would be to a crippling extent.

At least now it's not as bad as it once was.

I should say I do respect those that make quality viewers. And I know a few that work with those teams.

I'm just an old SL fart that likes to rant about old topics maybe. :matte-motes-smug:

Example.

When the Evil Zombie WOrm Massacre was running, i got a manic IM from someone who had accidently deleted a magic muscial key he needed tin order to complete the game. Turns out he was using Phoenix Viewer and had selected by accident a Phoenix feature called DEREZ.

Also he could not see Zombie worms because they were mesh so instead he saw big man eating Doighnuts

Haha. Good one Sean.

Yes you are right. It IS a developers nightmare. Especially right now with the introduction of mesh.

But i also feel that LL is not "really" in touch with the community. There are these forums here? The blogs and all this. But how many residents acutally find their way here? How many actually read the blogs?

Not many. And this is sad! This is a twofold issue: LL does not use the right tools to deliver essential informations to the residents. And the residents do not accept the new media tools LL introduces. This is the gap i am talking about.

This might seem schizophrenic but the users LOVE SL. but they have a very distorted releationship with LL.

Yes Loki. I am with you there. At some level you NEED to get active on the forums and such.

But i talk about the normal user.

Some still got a very distorted view on how LAG works and what LAG is actually is about.

There is a load on SL urban myths around and no one to fight them effectivly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.