Simplicity is key

Loki Eliot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

evil_worms_instructions-compressed.jpgI mentioned in another topic that an old game called Dizzy has inspired how i chose to make my games. that inspiration was to keep things 'SIMPLE'.

Im not really a coder, i can't see code well, its all just random words to me. Im learning what order they are in works, but i still don't really understand WHY they work in that order. Because of this i try to keep the game mechanic as simple as possible.

Things like 'Give objects' that when rezzed next to another object "makes stuff happen".

When 'object hit' object then 'disappears'  this is as simple as it gets i think in SL.

If the scripting gets too complicated then there is more chance that something will go wrong that i can't fix. Not to mention the impact of bad lag Weather.

Simplicity isn't just about scripting mechanics, it can also be applied to ease of use for the users. During my Zombie Massacre game it became apparent that the game was perhaps to difficult to get into and understand what to do from the start. While discussing with my friend we realised there were aspects of designing websites that could be applied to how users explore virtual worlds. 

The language barrier is also something that can be overcome by simplicity. Using universal icons to signify common tasks can reduce the need for multiple language translations.

I believe now that how i displayed the rules was to much information to take in and people would get bored very quickly.

My rule now is to keep game mechanics as simple as possible and let the story be the complex part.

You are right Loki. But there is where compromises come into weight as well.

They allways do.

We really try to keep the rules as low as possible in our sims but with SL beeing such an open platform alot can happen. And alot will happen. And alot will get abused. Thats what we need rules for.

Creating rules which are simple and games that are simple BUT challenging is not THAT easy in SL. I see it as a constant work in progress. It basically comes down to: They (the players) find a loophole - we fix it as best as possible.

The danger there is obviously that over time you clutter the rules more and more. Then you have two choices:

Leave it be and let it be more complicating

OR

Take extreme measurements which might screw away the players.

The answer is somewhere the middleroad and its not an easy one.

Ha yes, for example, my underground base test game you purchase a keypass to enter the cave. But some experienced users just know how to tp past the door anyways :) 

Also the open nature of SL brings up problems but in other cases it's a great part of a game such as the one i do in New Babbage, you are encouraged to freely explore the town. The very thought of letting people wonder across 12 sims of steampunk buildings seems the compltete oposite to simplicity

Yes i know what you mean!

We got several developers for the VICE combat system at Olds. Some old nuts and some new ones. And then there is the issue that VICE unlike other systems has a free api that everyone can get and develope for.

That often creates some nightmares and the constant threat by the community to "monopolize" matters. A problem you surely do not have

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.