Notebook Graphics....again

VRprofessor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello All,

My current notebook was bought at a time when I had no need of anything special for graphics.  Now that I am spending time in SL I think I need something better.  (Okay, I know I need something better.)

From other threads I've learned that I should avoid radeon and get something with an nvidia graphics card.

Most of the notebooks that I am looking at are using an nvidia GT540M.  I want to run SL on "high" with a reasonable framerate---will this level of graphics card make me happy or should I save up a bit longer for something better?

Perhaps a bit more info?

I plan to purchase something with an i5 or i7 CPU. 

My current laptop uses an intel t4300 chip with no real graphics to speak of.  I am used to ~10 fps (or less) right now so 20 - 25 fps would be a huge improvement.  Ultra graphics is pretty, but I only need high.

Will the the GT 540M card get me where I want to be?

Picked up a Dell L702x XPS 17" w/Full HD WLED screen, 6GB RAM, Windows 7 x64 + Intel i7 w/integrated 3000 HD graphics and nVidia GTS 555m 3GB DDR5 VRAM Optimus chipset. Runs SL sweeter than heck in high~ultra and allows for 15FPS with shadows and DOF enabled - just enough to grab your screenshot and save. It takes a little goofing with the nVidia control panel to set a 3D application profile to default SL rendering on the nVidia high performance DGPU but other than that, it's a dream.

By default it will try to run SL on the Intel integrated HD graphics and it can, but it gets a lousy 3~4 FPS in that state. First thing out of the box is to load in the latest Verde nVidia mobile drivers and update the Intel Drivers for chipset, Huron River, Rhenessa USB hub, and integrated HD graphics. Otherwise Optimus technology will not hand off properly to nVidia DGPU no matter how much you monkey with the driver or attempt to right-click-launch the app selecting "High Performance nVida GPU".

When not plugged in, the laptop will still run the nVidia array, but it slogs and chops a teensy bit at about 14 FPS, as it attempts to throttle GPU and CPU back to conserve battery power as much as possible. Once back on the power brick, it will immediately ramp up to full speed and runs liquid smooth. And you will not break the bank trying to grab up an Alienware or (insert gamer style notebook name here).

That is true for desktop GPUs. But in laptops even namesake cards are much less powerful. So if you want to play SL on a laptop, and enjoy some eyecandy and still have decent FPS, you should always aim for the best you can afford. Calculate for paying twice the price to get comparable results like in a desktop system.

And you'll still have to take overheating problems and less mobility (due to more weight and less battery life) into account. Even the most fancy gaming laptop will always be a compromise.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.