Land Allowance after a sale.

Stela Zanzibar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I posted this earlier, and I'm not sure what happened cause I can't find it so I'm posting this again.

My husband and I own 16,064 sqm of land on the mainland.  We each own about half of it.  Recently, I sold about 1000 sqm of land in order to purchase other land and not have my tier go up.    I had 8704 sqm of land prior to the sale, and today, I still have 8704 sqm of land after the sale.

I've been waiting for the amount to come back to my allowance for a while now.  

The remaining land is in a group, so it's hard to know exactly what land is mine and his anymore as it's been almost 3 years.   Figuring this out manually would probably not work.

Is there some process I missed when I sold the 1000 sqm section to get that back as an allowance?

Thank you

Stela

Hi Stela,

I hope you and your hubby just didn't buy each a parcel but made a group and bought it for that group. Groups get 20% bonus land, which is great.

And this brings me to your question. If the land is group owned you'll find the amount of available land in the group info! It must be 1000 m² more now. If not - ask LL to look into it! To make sure the land is reallly sold, check for the new owner in land info.

If your land was deeded to a group, then you will have donated the equivalent tier. Selling group land does not alter the amount of tier that you have donated to the group, so your personal land-holding (tier) won't have changed. However, you will see that the group has some spare tier now.

You can reduce the amount of tier you donate to the group, so that the group doesn't have any spare and you have it personally.

@Orca: groups get a 10% bonus - not 20%

Hi,

I've read both your replies several times and I'm lost... thank you for your replies BTW...  

Here are the details of the land and group:

Group  Info - Land Tab 

Contribution - 18,651 sqm

Land in Use - 17,088 sqm

Land Available - 1563 sqm

My contribution to the group 8704 sqm

There are 2 contributors to the group, 

Tbone - 8251 sqm listed in group

Stela - 8704 sqm listed in group

Total listed in group - 16,955

This number does not match any of the above numbers.

Looks like there is land available in the group, but what happened to the land I sold?

Thank you

Stela

Your question really is, what happened to the tier from the land that I sold?

It's still donated by you and/or your partner to the group - in the available 1535sqm. Before you sold it, that number would have been lower.

To get the tier back into your personal account, you can reduce your tier donation to the group.

Selling group land does not automatically return the donated tier to an individual. Whatever tier was donated before the sale, remains donated (and the donator still has to pay for it, whether or not s/he owns land to the value of that tier). It's up to the individual to reduce their donation to get the tier back, and that can by done by changing the number of sqm you are donating.

ETA: Just out of interest, if you sell a piece of group land to yourself, you still don't get the tier back with it and, if you are personally tight on tier, don't buy land from your group until you've reduced your tier donation to the group. Otherwise you could go up a tier level without intending to. But when you're buying land that would increase your tier level, you are told it very clearly. Reducing a group's tier to below what it needs for the land that it owns can be done ok. There is plenty of time to either get more tier into the group or take some land away from it.

It's not the same when you are buying land that will take you above your tier level. If you quickly put things right, it's not quick enough. You only need to go up a tier level for a fraction of a second to be charged at that level for the month.

Hi,

Thank you for the explanation... I'm not as lost as I was... but still confused.

Ok, this is what I did.... 

Group>Land Tab - changed my contribution and subtracted 1000 sqm. and clicked apply

Now the numbers are:

Total Contribution - 17551sqm

Total Land in Use - 17088sqm

Land Available - 473 sqm

Your Contribution - 8704sqm   (9704 max)     <----why is this still 8704 if I subtracted 1000????

My Land

Allowed Land - 8704 sqm

Current holdings - 7704sqm

Available for land purchase - 1000 sqm

Ok so my available for purchase and current holdings dropped by 1000sqm

But my contribution to the group is still 8704 even though I changed it to 7704

And what is governing these numbers?  I don't recall the exact amount of land I sold, does it just accept anything?  Certainly not.

I went to a piece of property just to see what would happen and hit Buy Land, it was going to allow me to buy land and keep my tier the same.

If this is the way it works, how much is the group eligible to hold or purchase.  

Lastly, why is this so confusing!  I feel like I've completely lost track of the land I owned and how much.  I had a handle on it til I sold that piece, but I thought the amount would automatically come back to me, so I didn't write down the size of the land.     Unfortunately, it is further back then my last Transaction in my Transaction history so I don't know how to find out the exact size.

Thank you

Stela

The numbers can be very confusing. They sometimes confuse me, and I understand it :) It's allowing for that extra 10% that sometimes confuses me.

One thing to know is that the contributions to the group already have the 10% included so, starting from scratch (no contributions), if you contribute, say, 2000, then the contributions to the group will show 2200, which is 2000 + 10%. But your personal contribution will show 2000. You can see that in your first list of numbers. The personal contributions are:-

Tbone: 8251
You: 8704
Total: 16955
+10% = 18650.5 (rounded up = 18651)

That's what your first list shows as contributions to the group.

Then you took 1000 away from your personal contribution so...

Tbone: 8251
You: 7704
Total: 15955
+10%: 17550.5 (rounded up = 17551)

That's what your second list shows as contributions to the group.

So that's all correct.

But the Land Available to the group went down by only 1090 and not by 1000 + 10% (1100), which can be confusing in itself, but the that's how it works out, as the numbers show. It's that 10% that makes it confusing.

What doesn't make sense is that your contribution is still 8704 in the group's numbers when it should be 7704 - not only because you say so, but because the rest of the group's numbers confirm it, as do your current personal numbers. The rest of the group's numbers are correct but that one isn't. I can only think that there was a delay in updating all the numbers and that today it will show 7704.

>> "If this is the way it works, how much is the group eligible to hold or purchase."

Your group can currently acquire another 473sqm of land without needing any more tier contributions. You may want to buy a 512m parcel for it, so you contribute another 39 tier units, which would bring it up to 512. But then you'd see that the group can acquire something like another 516m of land rather than the 512 you intended - because there is that 10% added to the 39 that you donated. It's ok though. A group doesn't need the tier immediately, it can be added soon afterwards, so you can buy the 512, see how much tier is needed, and contribute accordingly. Sometimes I contribute, see the result, take some away, see the result, etc. and eventually get the tier needed by the group to 0.

>> "Lastly, why is this so confusing!"

That auto-10% can make it confusing. But, in this case, your contribution showing 8704 in the group's numbers, instead of the 7704 that is should be, can't do anything other than confuse things.

>> "I had a handle on it til I sold that piece, but I thought the amount would automatically come back to me, so I didn't write down the size of the land."

It couldn't have been 1000sqm because it's not possible to make 1000sqm parcel. It might have been 1024sqm. 

All in all, it's not at all surprising that you are confused. That number not changing would confuse anybody.

Phil Deakins wrote:

ETA: Just out of interest, if you sell a piece of group land to yourself, you still don't get the tier back with it and, if you are personally tight on tier, don't buy land from your group until you've reduced your tier donation to the group.

There is an option to remove group tier when you sell a parcel to yourself but you still have to keep your eye on the buy land window which informs you whether your tier will go up.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!  I really thought I had a handle on this.... and today I'm screwed up again.

Ok, so 816 sqm became available next to my land so I purchased it and tried to deed it to the land group.  It said I didn't have enough land credits to deed it.   So I looked at the land tab on the Group and found this:

Total Contributions:   17669
Total Land In Use:      17600
Land Available:                69
Your Contribution    7812      (7888 max)

Then I looked at My Land and I see:

Allowed land holdings at current payment plan:   8704
Current Land holdings                                                8628
Available for land purchases:                                         76

When I look at my partners My Land, I see:

Allowed land holdings at current payment plan:   8704
Current Land holdings                                                8251
Available for land purchases:                                       453

We can't I contribute all 8628 of my land to the group?    When I change the Your Contribtion to 8628, it automatically makes it 7812 and won't accept 8628.     Why is the max 7888 instead of 8704 like it was in previous updates above?

I fear that this is all messed up now... ugh... How do I fix this?

Thank you
Stela 

The nevermind was to my post, not yours.. I figured out what I was doing wrong....

As far as your detailed post, I did reply and thanked you for the information... however, upon looking at this thread, I do not see the reply.   Which doesn't surprise me, since this thread started out the same way.   I posted, it never appeared and I had to post again.

Anyway, Thank you Phil for the information you provided on this thread.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.