Latest SL Viewer, Windows 7 ATI Radeon 5450 Graphics Card - why are graphics not loading?

sillybunny200

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi there

I hope someone can help!

I wish to run a Second Life session with students in a College computer lab. We recently installed the latest Second Life Viewer. We thought we met the basic requirements as we have Windows 7 and a 5450 Graphics Card. However, when we tested it all the graphics were not loading. Everything was grey and cloudy - my avatar, other avatars and the surrounding environment. How can I resolve this?

Many thanks,

Kerry

4 answers to this question

Login again and hang around, rinse and repeat. New viewers are funny they seem to take a few logins to get up to snuff which can leave one stumped after always logging in and having thing load faster with older versions. Try clicking on things and editing them they may load faster or appear to be doing so as you will be busy allowing more time for things to load.

I'm pretty sure it is not your graphics card (although I could be wrong :)).

As Freecilla says, it will probably take a while for textures to load when you first start using a viewer. How quick they load will, among other things, depend on how busy the sim/parcel is/how many objects and textures have to be loaded.

Have a look in the Develop menu (which you enable in me->preferences->Advanced) and toggle http textures. Bandwidth and packet loss could also affect how quick textures load.

- Luc -

Hello sillybunny and welcome to SL Forums. Normally ATI Radeon 5450 (a class 2 graphics card) is supported for SL. You can play without problems with middle or high performance. The 2 main causes for your problem is:

a)Weak / slow internet connection. If you use wireless connection, prefer direct cable connection. Also reboot your modem / router leting it closed for at least 2-3 mins and try again.

b)Corrupted files which are saved in your hard disk. If so, you can't resolve the problem even with a very fast connection. You need to download again these files and practically you do that clearing your cache manually (out of SL and having your viewer closed). More details about here.

After, restart your computer and log in a quiet sim without lag like Smith, Anzere or Exeuxoa. Open your inventory, write something in search there and wait fetching ALL your items till the last one. That means you download again, you get back your inventory and it is very important. If your inventory is no fully loaded you do nothing else like moving chatting or teleporting. When fetching finishes, try to change outfit choosing one with just the necessary stuff (skin, shape, hair, eyes, pants and shirt) without any attachments. If you still can't see your avatar rebake your textures using Ctrl+Alt+R, wait some seconds and repeat if it is necessary. Finally if the problem remains, follow the suggestions here. They work for all viewers and it is very possible to work for you also. Good luck.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.