I have new nVidia GeForce 9800 GT card, and SL keeps booting me after a random # of minutes.

Felix Colinsgrove

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My computer was recently repaired with a new motherboard, and a nVidia GeForce 9800 GT video card. Now I am getting kicked back to my desktop, sometimes after an hour of being in SL, sometimes after 15 seconds. Might be a problem with settings on the graphics card, but I am not sure what the proper settings should be.

Only my graphics intensive programs, like Second Life, are giving me this problem. I can do all of my normal tasks with no problem.

2 answers to this question

The NVidia GeForce 9800 GT is a fine video card.  I have one myself and have never had a problem at all.  There's nothing inherent in the card itself that will cause you to be kicked out of SL, but if it's happening regularly one thing to worry about a LOT is heat.  That card will use a fair amount of power, and SL puts a heavy demand on it.  All of that translates into heat that can destroy the card if you aren't careful.  It's own safety mechanism is to dump you out of the program so it can cool off.  The best protection is good ventilation.  Make a practice of opening up the computer every month or so and blowing out any accumulatred dust bunnies and cat hair with a can of compressed air.  Be sure that you have a couple of good fans in the case.  I have four -- they are cheap insurance.  Finally, look on the Internet for a fan speed control program.  There are loads out there and they are free to download.  The program will increase the fan speed if it senses that temperature is getting too high.

Normally, when a Video Card has an issue, your screen goes black or your PC just shuts down, not just the application.  As you are still able to use your PC, I am thinking there could be something else here that is just coincidence.

When you get booted, what are you doing?  Does it happen when you are chatting or try to chat? Does it happen when you add or rez certain objects?

I've had the same thing happen and replaced my Video Card where it still happened.  Then one day, I opened my Chat History and saw that I had some 3,000 pages of chat stored.  It was happening whenver I would chat but not in IM.  When I deleted my chat history, all worked find and since then, I don't store local chat.

I've also had this happen with a dress I had on.  It contained a bad resize script and crashed me ever now and then but usually between 15 minutes and an hour.  When I got the skirt off (which I had to do via my Mobile Ap) all worked fine again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.