Crash-on-login with Viewer 3.2

Alazarin Mondrian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, I'm getting the Open GL disconnect crash-on-login with LL viewer 3.2. Come on guys, get your act together. Why should it take 5+ attempts just to log in?

Error Code 7.jpg

Although just now I got error code 8. Nvidia graphics cards with the 4xx & 5xx chipsets appear to be the most badly affected. The only way to log in now is to disable atmospheric & basic shaders and then take my chances once logged in. This is not an issue affecting just one computer. I have several computers [2 with Nividia GT440 chipsets, one with Nvidia GT220 chipset and one with ATI HD2600XT chipset]. All the computers with the Nvidia graphics chipsets are affected. This issue has been repeatedly documented here, on various JIRA's [apparently] and extensively on SLU.

Nvidia chipsets are the most common out there. Linden Lab, if you're concerned about resident retention maybe you ought to take a look at what's keeping people out: your software. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!

And while I'm at it: Fix the crashlogger. Show your residents that you really do care.

Try this build:

http://automated-builds-secondlife-com.s3.amazonaws.com/hg/repo/davep_gl-development/rev/244377/index.html

The current OpenGL setup is a hot mess because it contains a lot of older commands that new video cards don't care for anymore. They are busy rebuilding the OpenGL to take care of this and are making good progress. The build above works well for me and I used to have the same problems.

usually when i log in i do it on a sorten SIM without basic shaders on, then i aproach close to a wall facing it and check Basic Shaders and it works fine, but yes i do have a GTX 460 and i have same problem always if i dont do this trick.

The only way to make this SL Mesh work directly without any problems is to revert to driver 260.99 or even older ones, but because i play performant games like Battlefield 3 or F1 2011 i need new drivers

I installed the developer viewer and was able to log in successfully. But really this is not a satisfactory answer. This issue must be affecting many residents and, as such, really requires the fixes [whatever they might be] to be incorporated into the mainstream viewer.

To quote WolfBaginski Bearsfoot from this thread: "I am not a programmer". I am an end-user resident. Yes, I have some rather limited knowledge of computer stuff but my main expertise is music composition / recording / performance. I do not insist that my audiences all have music and/or fine arts degrees before listening to my music. Similarly LL should not expect its residents to be computer programmers in order to enjoy an even passable SL experience.

I have had to wade  through installing Firestorm Viewers [2 different versions], Kirstens Viewer, LL Beta viewers, uninstalling and reinstalling graphics drivers in safe mode several times over. For what? Just so that I can successfully log into SL for a few hours to perform some music that no-one's interested in or to do a bit of building on my own? Some days it takes anything up to half an hour to achieve a successful login. My computer is more than adequate [Q6600 CPU, 4gB RAM, Nvidia GT440, Win7 Ultimate]. Why so much running in order to simply stand still???

Is it too much to ask that there be a reliable standard viewer without having to resort to all manner of monkey business trawling through forums and downloading obscure viewers from sites that claim to be accredited but could be anything? Sure some people might get some sort of l337 techno-buzz from things like that. I don't. I want to be able to download the LL default viewer, login successfully without any monkey business and get on with my Second Life. Is that too much to expect?

This is happening to me too.  I am one crash-on-login away from going back to V1.  I really, really, really have tried to do V2.  This is my sixth attempt or more to use SL through V2, and I was really excited for the Nov 8 update so that I could finally enjoy being updated.  I am not that interested in doing other viewers either, since I'd rather keep to V1 if I can't use V2.  I am not a technical person either, and the suggestions I've read above are like Russian to me.  Please fix, Linden Labs, please.  My graphics and audio are worse on V2 than V1 also.  Please.  And thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue with my GTX 460. I thought I was alone by all the wrong answers I have seen from nVidia AND Second Life. I've tried everything. The only way I can log into SL V3 is to completely empty my computer's cache in SL application data. THEN, I can log on ONCE and play for as long as I like. The second time I try to log with the same avatar, it fails. MORE answers PLEASE!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.