Tips for beginners and how you got started

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there Second Life sculptors!
I'm a Student at McMaster University taking a class on avatar culture. I am doing research on creating 3D models and textures for Second Life in outside programs, such as Blender. I am interested in learning how artists are inspired and go on to create their own pieces, whether practical or artistic, and I want to learn how to create my own sculptures. 
I am interested in hearing how you all got into the world of building and texturing in Second Life, as well as any tips on how to get started!
If you are interested in being part of an interview with me, let me know and I will send you a notecard and we can be in touch. I can also be contacted at ajberardo7@gmail.com.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Looking forward to  speaking to you guys. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Berardbro wrote:

Hi there Second Life sculptors!

I'm a Student at McMaster University taking a class on avatar culture.

Berardbro, thank you so much for attending the McMasters Institute for the Advancement of Harmless Flirtation. Notwithstanding the horror many here must feel to know that I'm teaching classes in Avatar Culture, I look forward to your participation.

Should you require additional assistance, please contact Ms. Dillon Levenque, Dean of Student Affairs.

/me cleans the cookie crumbs off her lap to make room for you. 

DQ Darwin wrote:

Ms McMasters I would like to know if we can get a refund, thank you:)

I'm sorry, Ms. Darwin, as your tuition was provided by a scholarship from the Lap Dancer's Guild, which they funded "in kind", I'm afraid we cannot honor your request. If you would like further undress of grievances, Ms. Levenque can, I'm sure, clear a spot on her busy schedule (and even busier lap) for you.

Hello, Berardbro.  Your class sounds fascinating.  I wish you the best of luck with it.

I had to jump in to answer your question, since it happens I got my start in in SL as part of a class, myself.  It was called Temp:Real (for temporary reality), and was taught as a joint venture between The University at Buffalo, and Buff State College (both SUNY schools).  We studied quite a few virtual worlds, but at the time, SL was the only one compelling enough to make me want to stay in it after the class was done.

This was 2004, and I was going back to school for digital arts, after having recently closed my marketing business, which I had been running for the prior ten years or so.  Students in the class were encouraged to explore how the various virtual world related to, and could server to express, their chosen fields of study.  As an art student, I of course focused on artwork.  Other people focused on other things (sociology students explored culture, communications students looked at how information is exchanged, etc.)  It was a fun class.

One thing that always made me laugh were the students who were flunking.  Those people were too busy playing video games to do their homework for other classes, and now here they were in class where the very assignment was to play video games, and they still couldn't manage it.  I would have loved to have had a class based on exploring the psychology behind that one!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.