second life + multi cor cpu

jimjim Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To make it short: ALL more modern CPUs by Intel and ATi shouldn't have any problems with running SL. A fast dual core is better than a slower quad core. More important, if you're about to upgrade/build a system for SL, is your GPU (nVidia GTX series works best) and ample amount of RAM (at least 4GB, better 6 or 8).

Generally speaking, upgrading from a 2-core system to one that has more cores won't help SL performance, if all other factors are equal. SL simply is not written to do a good job of using multiple core computers.

However...

It is likely that any 4-core or better computer will also be much better in many other regards than the older 2-core system you have now. Faster CPU's, more memory, and a better graphics card with more VRAM will do a lot to improve your SL performance. Multi-core systems can also help if you run multiple instances of SL (more than one avatar on-line at the same time), or if you multi-task in other ways, such as keeping an e-mail app or a web browser open while in SL.

If getting a new system, the bigest thing I would worry about for SL performance is how good a graphics card you can cram into it, the better the card is in terms of processing 3D info, with lots of VRAM, the better SL will perform.

thanks guys

what it is   i need to upgrade just the cpu because it is maxing out my e6750 running at 2.66ghz

so i was going to upgrade the cpu to a q6600 quad running at 2.44 ghz

the q6600 is a much faster chip i just want to make sure it will help sl

my ram is at max couse i on xp but it aint causing a problem as yet

my graphics card is fine couse it a nvida 8800gts

thanks

ok i just looked at task manager why i did not before i do not know

and sl seems to be using both cores equaly,,,,,

but i soppose that is not to say that sl would use 4 cores equaly ??

does anyone have a 4 core cpu and can they see sl using 4 cores or 2 cores ,,,

cheers

Using Viewer 3 with a quad-core system and 32-bit Win XP for my OS, with SL in the foreground one core's processes jump to about 75%, one is about 10%, and the other two are at 5% or less. So no, it doesn't divide evenly on all multi-core systems. Maybe with 64-bit Win 7, or some other 64 bit system, but I can't test that,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.