Detecting Spy Scripts?

Morgaine Christensen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The only way I can think of to hide a spy script so it's not detectable by checking the ownership of objects on the land is to introduce it into a modifiable object belonging to the landowner,  which is, unfortunately, quite simple.

You could then, I guess, turn on beacons and see if anything's showing up as being scripted that shouldn't be, but if the object's scripted in the first place, you're snookered, and will just have to inspect all your scripted objects for scripts that shouldn't be there.   Since they'll be limited to hearing stuff in chat range, you would probably do best to start your search in the places on your land you most often are to be found.

I'm assuming that, if you're worried someone's done this to you, you've made sure you're not wearing prim items given you by the person(s) you suspect of eavesdropping.

Hi, scripts have to be in an object. Usually that wouldn´t be yours. But someone could gifted you something like a chair ..., even a ring or necklace to do really bad things.

Check for objects not in the land group or/and not owned by trusted people. Disable scripts ...

An odd trick could be place an object below the surface of your land to hide it from standard searches.

Detect a spy script would mean to know what commands are used to spy and then LL would just remove this commands. So spy scripts, for example, listen to open chat. Maybe set on - show updates - and keep say things in open would make them update very often.

More to say but i leave that to the script-pros ;)

Monti

Innula Zenovka wrote:

The only way I can think of to hide a spy script so it's not detectable by checking the ownership of objects on the land is to introduce it into a modifiable object belonging to the landowner,  which is, unfortunately, quite simple.[...]

I wouldn't call it simple.... the item either has to be given to the land owner first (although it can poison other objects from there, it would need a script pin for the target object), or placed by someone with edit permissions for that person (unlikely).

There's no way to detect a spy script.

Your best bet is to use a combination of beacons to show scripted objects and look for suspicious ones, and About Land to see the list.  Also, check out anything that may have been given to you or edited by the person you suspect.

Hopefully you're just being overcautious.  No spy script can spy on IMs, so until you're satisifed you can use IM rather than chat.  Of course, a spy could also see who's in the area.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.