a newbie needs help

royalbeauty4u

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think your avatar must be appearing as a cloud to you, which is what you mean by a ghost. Okay, there are few things you can try. First, trying switching out your bald hair base. There is some sort of problem involving tattoo layers or something that creates an error condition, so switch your bald hair base for another and see if that helps.

Also try rebaking. Do control alt r

If that doesn't work, do the character test, which turns your avatar into a noob again. Enable the advanced menu, by holding down control alt d

Then under the advanced menu look for character test, do either male or female.

You might also join NCI and ask in group chat for help and they'll walk you through the steps while you're in world. They have a website here http://www.nci-sl.info/blog/

Try alt-control-r.  That will rebake your textures.  That normally clears up the problem but if it doesn't then go to the tab where you went to clear your cache in your preferences.  Note the path where your cache is located on your computer (sometimes it's easier to copy that path and paste to notepad or some simple word edtitor...even an email).  Close your viewer and navigate to that location and manually delete everything in the final folder (probably named "cache").  Reboot your computer and log back into SL.........it will probably take a little longer for everything to load so be patient.  One trick I found that speeds up your avatar loading is to open your mini-map.  Using your mini-map as a guide spin your avatar 1/4 turn to either the right or left and watch the mini-map.........when all the terrain and objects load for that quarter or your map, turn another quarter turn and wait until it loads.  Continue until everything on the mini-map loads.  By that time your avatar should pop out of the whispy fog cloud.

If that doesn't work then come on back............someone else might have an idea.  And I have a couple more myself but I'm a bid advocate of one thing at a time and the easiest first.

Another thing that might help requires finding either a "de-ruthing" device or a specific de-cloud object.  They both contain a script that will send you to 4000 meters (the top of a sim) and then brings you back down again, all in about 2 seconds.  About 3/4's of the time it will turn a cloud into an avatar since it gives the server a chance to reset your image.  Another dodge is to teleport somewhere; either by using a teleport device or just picking a location and tp'ing there.  That gives the computers another chance to reassemble your avatar properly, rather than as a cloud.

Finally, try stripping stark naked, as in taking off all your attachments and clothing and hair... ie: going back to the first avatar you wore the first time you went inworld and then try the above. The less the computer has to draw, the less likely you are to be left as a cloud.  Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.