SL Bandwidth Very Low

Trebor Shelman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am on a new laptop with high end i7 processor and 6G memory.  Cable connection is very fast on speed tests and in actual use.  Yet, on Sl, Bandwidth barely shows on graph and fps is 4ish. I have set max bandwidth in Preferences.

Why is Sl bandwidth so low?  How do i correct this problem?

6 answers to this question

Two immediate things come to mind.  The first being that you are connected via wireless.  The second being your router needs rebooting.

And, as a side, setting your bandwidth to whatever maximum setting your viewer allows will not improve your bandwidth if your connection and your system cannot handle what's going to flood in......in most cases it will create more problems than it ever will solve.  You need to find the highest setting your system and your connection can handle.  The important parts of your system, as far as SL is concerned, are your CPU speed, your graphics card, and your system RAM.  Your connection consists of your network interface, your ISP's speed, and the method you are connected (hardwired or wireless).  Setting your bandwidth in preferences will do you not good what so ever if it's above what the LL servers will send to your viewer.......a 5 mbps setting will only recieve 1.5 mbps of data if that's all the servers will send (and it appears that 1.5 mbps is just about the top speed the servers will send........it will vary according to the concurrency of the grid).

Hello Trebor. As reported in SL wiki pages, "Paradoxically, a connection speed that is too high can cause problems. Your computer has to do something with the new data as it comes in. If it is too busy, it can miss data packets, which then get re-sent. This makes the problem worse. The "Statistics Bar" shows packet loss as a percentage. If it anything above 0% on a steady basis, go to top menu Edit > Preferences > Network > Maximum Bandwidth and try lowering the value to reduce packet loss. On the other hand, if you have a fast connection and can handle it, you can increase the bandwidth to download data faster."

Summary, set your Max Bandwidht lower enough and generally experiment till to find the best setting for your system.

• Like 1

Also if this is a NEW issue, be asured that some sims are running ridiculously slowly since the last server update. This may not be "you" at all. Check with other people in the area or try changing areas and see if the fps are better. LEA Sandbox has been running well even with all the scripts, my home and all ajoining sims (private land) has been at about a quarter of what it normally is. Today was a bit better. Hoping it gets fixed on the next server update.

My SL connection ping time is over 33,000 ... no fooling. I can ping South Africa from Arizona, USA in about 30 kps. I understand the SL server I use is in San Jose, California, about 700 miles away. I have done everything I can find to do to my computer, nothing helps. I wish I knew how to redirect to a different SL server, or is that a really dumb thought? I hadn't changed any hardware on my computer when this lag started. It just happened. I'm at a loss as to how to improve things.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.