CG Card problem

Elvan Kamachi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

Check the answers to previous posts from people who have had trouble with Radeon series 6000 cards.....

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/I-just-got-a-new-laptop-with-an-AMD-HD-Radeon-6770m-and-it-gives/qaq-p/1087927

See Max Tyler's response here, in particular >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/So-i-got-my-HD-Radeon-6770m-card-to-work-with-sl-but-there-s-a/qaq-p/1090217

Once you've read through those and tried what they recommend, if you are still having trouble, try a clean reinstall of your drivers >>>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clean_Install

• Like 2

Thx for your quick answer. Precisions.

My Cg card is a ATI Radeon HD 6850. Catalyst version is up to date : Driver Series Number 11.9.

None of any viewers work with it. I reinstalled CG card drivers (which obviously was not useful because drivers were already up-to-date) and still does not work. What do I do to get my SL working ?

Thx again ?

Hmmmm... Unfortunately, SL and other OpenGL programs often do not play well with ATI cards -- even a good one like yours. The JIRA reports are full of complaints, and we get a lot of questions here. The obvious first step was to be sure that the drivers really are up to date, which you have now done. If you have tried the solutions that were mentioned in those other threads and still can't get the card to work, try this ...

Disable AI in Catalyst:

Right click on your desktop (or right click the ATI logo in the bottom right tray) and select Catalyst Control Center;

In catalyst control center go to the advanced options menu;

Then click on the 3D tab on the left side. Catalyst A.I. will be amongst the labels there;

Tick the box next to 'Disable Catalyst A.I.'

Alrighty...

I tried disabling Catalyst AI by all means, even modyfying it manually in user/app.local/etc.. folders... Nothing worked. I'm just fed up with it now.

Such a pity I cannot enjoy sl anymore... I'll try text viewer but SL is not jujst a chat-box.

Thx again for your precious help and time. Take care.

Elv.

I don't know why I would be mentioned as anyone with more knowledge than Rolig. My attitude toward video cards that are fully capable of running SL and don't is that it's almost always with the system the card is installed in or the software that enables the card to work properly. If you have updated your drivers for the card correctly and it still does not work then the next step is to back up a driver or two to find one that does work..........it is not necessary to have the latest driver (only the latest driver that works for what you want it to do). The driver I use for my video card is over a year old (released in July, 2010) and works for everything I want it to work for.........there is no need to update the driver until there is a reason (such as not working any longer for what I want it to do).

I do want to stress the importance of proper driver installation. AMD/ATI has video tutorials on their driver download page........watch them. Follow the steps exactly as shown. Driver corruption when updating is probably one of the biggest problems encounter when trying to update. Other than that, I have no suggestions. I will say that you should be able to run SL, with that card, at high (or above) settings..........it's not the card itself (it's something else and you just need to find what it is and fix it). I'm no graphics guru........but I am logical and persistant when it comes to computer issues.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.