Where do you get the Server Source Code?

weaversam8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

I think you're talking about the OpenSim project that is developed as an open source platform who's root are based on SL's server code being reverse engineered about 4 years ago.  Dispite Open Sim being open source the platform is still roughly 4 years behind SL in development........it's been quite a disappointment to many who have tried to improve it to compete with SL on a more equal base.  It appears that there's much more than meets the eye on the complexity of the platform......no one has come close yet.  In my opinion the grid developed with the Open Sim code that comes closest is Inworldz.........but I quit them because I didn't want to go back to 2007 with all the issues people have to endure.  Back in 2007 it was fun because it was new.......it's not fun now because it isn't new (it's old code that needs maturing to even draw near equal to SL.......I've done my "bad time" and don't want to repeat it).

The viewer code is open source and available on the Second Wiki pages.

I though it was open source code for the viewer but I don't think it is for their servers, you would have to get your own servers.

Try this out https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/viewer-release

I have resisted going to Opensim for over a year now but I have been doing a lot of work there recently and it's is not that far behind and I don't think they are trying to catch up either. They seem be working on different things, they now have very little lag and a high draw distance does not add any lag at all. Needless to say I have it set as high as it will go and I can see everything from sims away. I barely ever see a sim being rezzed there, it's just there. The sim border crossings are almost totally unnoticeable as well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.