Only Avitars who talk Names Are Visible

THEGaga

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This isn't necessary at all.  The radiating dots above heads and the active speaker list is sufficient to identify a speaker  Besides, what if there are two or more conversations going on in a venue?  Which talker would be displayed.?

I am afraid this could possibly add to lag too on the client side, as constantly changing whose name tag is displayed just adds to the processing time.  There aer a lot more pressing problems that need attention.

I think the opposite, the names above the avatar are to boring, to easily ignored...we need to be able to replace them with mesh items....yes, those meshes should also be riggable. That way they can move around and load animations, and sounds to. So we can have our names jump around and flash, play wonderful sounds....hey, why even bother with a name! You can make a item, object or whatever you want. If they can spew particles....that is the best idea, we should do that to!

Ok, j/k....but then again, why not more control over EVERYTHING! oh....we can, but we have to use the source code and then create our own grid of simulators to get those features....hhhm.

If you really want it, then maybe the Jira or at least the forums for the viewer will help.

You could always give programming it a shot. But, I imagine the woman depicted in the image would not have so much time. Maybe one of her accolites would will do it, giving them some blessing or a token of appreiciation and so on might take far less time and the code might be good enough to be included in the main viewer Linden Labs releases. Like the avatar weight thingy, it was only like a year or something lol. A year on the internet is like a decade in old slower times and business. Sad, but there where more important things I guess....plus legal stuff to do with adult area split ect.

The tiny dots above the voice chatters' heads are in only two states... green for active, white for inactive. I'm betting that uses far less memory and processing than having an entire name displayed, particularly if the name is made up of those hard to guess or read Unicode characters.

If names above peoples' heads are irritating (which they are to me), you could simply go into your preferences and turn them all off. That way, the voice chat dots would stand out better. As for getting the names of the chatters, simply rolling your mouse over the avatar brings up a tool tip showing their name... provided that feature hasn't been manually turned off in the preferences (it's turned on by default).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.