any experiencing EXTREME LAG everywhere?

Annalee McKeenan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Not were I am.  FPS hovering around 35 to 40 (which is normal for my land on the Heterocera continent).  I took a couple trips back and forth across the sim boundary that borders my plot on the north side.......the normal slight hesitation then jump that has been the way things are for my sim crossings since LL fixed the really bad issue a couple years ago with sim crossings.  Just pretty much normal.  Lag free for the most part, good FPS and sim crossings..........like it has been for a couple years now.

Hello Annalee. I haven't 60-70 fps as Rolig, i am arround 40+ here in a place with full scripts arround, but no particular problem with lag for me also. Check out also your lag meter, it is under Menu Advanced --> Performance Tools in V2 or V3 if there is a problem with the client (lag on your viewer -side end) or with network (lag with network connection between your viewer and LL's servers) or with server (lag from LL's servers). Normally, should be all lights green there.

For Larisa and Annalee.  If you are experiencing lag (extreme or otherwise) and no one else around you is experiencing the same level of lag, then it's almost wihout doubt occuring on your end.  The problem I find with threads like this is that what's lag for some people is quite fine with other.....it's not really an objective observation.  Second Life will not run like a DVD video played on your Blue Ray player at home.  There will always be some sort of hesitation, jerkiness or delay in rezzing of textures and objects.  In most cases people are quite a distance from the LL servers and requests have to be made by your viewer for data to be sent to you from the servers........then the servers have to retrieve that data from it's data base and send it to you.  After that, your computer takes over.......it has to render what you see.  That's a lot happening and it takes time (small amounts of time to be sure, but the small delays while the requests are made, LL's servers finding the data and sending it back and your computer handling it all adds up.......it's not going to be perfect.  Never.  What I call lag free might not be what others call lag free.  If the video rendered by my graphics is smooth enough to no interfere with whatever I'm doing at the time then it's lag free for me........minor jerkiness and hestitations are ignored by me.  I found that quite acceptable FPS for smooth enough video is as low as 20 FPS.  I can (by lowering my draw distance from 256 meters to 96 or so) get as high as 60 FPS in the same regions that I get the 20 to 30 with the big draw distance.  It's acceptable to me so I leave my draw distance at 256 for most excursions in SL.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that lag is so vague when people complain about it, it's almost useless to discuss it.  Play with your preference settings, reboot your router and modem, increase or decrease your draw distance and bandwidth..........find what works for you computer system.  Don't expect DVD on a Blue Ray player quality.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.