Second Life won't log me in..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry I didn't know where else to post this. My internet is working, everything is working, apart from SL. It says 'logging in' for ages and I eventually get this error:

'Login failed. Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong. Please check status.secondlifegrid.net to see if there is a known problem with the service. If you continue to experience problems, please check your network and firewall setup.'

It literally worked like an hour ago and now it won't work. Not changed anything with firewall or network. I don't understand.

Hello. We haven't currently an announcement in http://status.secondlifegrid.net/ for issues in world. Something blocks the access to SL.  Try the folowing:

1)Log in a different region. Protected lands like Smith or Lime are recommended. If you can't select a different region, in your log in screen give the command: Menu Me --> Preferences --> General Tab --> Enable "Show on login" --> OK.  After click the down arrow where it says "Start at" and choose <Type region name> --> Smith --> Login.

2)Power down your modem / router for at least one min, restart your computer, power on and try to log in again.

3)Clear your cache under your preferences --> Relog

4)Clear completely your cache out of SL deleting all contests in the following folders and restart your computer:

C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife and

C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife

• If you clear your cache manually you will lose all your private conversations which are saved in your computer. To avoid it copy the folder with your username in the folder Secondlife in another position in your hard disk. The folder is: C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife \ warehousefifteendesings_resident
  • If you have more than one viewers installed in your computer do the same for all of them, following the same paths in your hard disk. For example if you have Phoenix the folder is C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ PhoenixViewer (Delete all contests into this folder and restart your computer).

Good luck.

LL have been working on some of the servers recently, and the work is ongoing. However, there is nothing on the grid status page to suggest anything currently would prevent you from logging in. http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

It could be some update on your operating system that has been installing itself that's now causing an issue perhaps?

If it were me, I would pull up my viewer screen, but prior to logging in would change my login start location (go up to "edit", "preferences", "general", tick the box to show start location on screen if it doesn't already display this on your viewer screen). Try logging in somewhere neutral, like Robinson, Pooley, Itress.

• 2 years later...

shaunie1412 wrote:

i dont uderstand why i cant log in it keeps coming up that there is a problem and that i have to visit the website to see what it is i did and it didnt tell me ? how do i get it to work ?x

You've really given us no information to go on.  But we see that you joined today.

First question will be how are you connecting to the Internet?

You can also look at some of the info here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Login-failure/ta-p/700109

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.