Texture differences between sculpt and prim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello people I am having an issue that maybe is common trouble for building builders and some of you may have found a solution for it. I am building walls with mixed prims and sculpts and applying the same texture over both but they keep looking different, the sculpt texture looks lighter.

Is there any way I can avoid this issue ? thanks for any help

lighter_001.jpg

I assume you're talking about the differences in the lighting, and not about the fact that you've got different repeats per meter on the sculpty vs. the prims.  The lighting discrepency is most likley because sculpties have so many more vertices than prims do.  SL uses vertex lighting.  The more vertices a surface has, the more light can appear to reflect off of it, and the more the shading can appear to grade.

If you set both objects to fullbright, they'll probably look the same.  If you don't want fullbright in effect, then there's not much else you can do, short of building the wall differently.

Even if the lighting weren't at issue, I'd still suggest not using a sculpty for this purpose, by the way.  It would only take three prims to build that section with the window in it (not counting the window itself, of course).  Considering that with the sculpty, you'd need an invisible cube in there anyway, just to get the wall's physics to work properly, you're talking about a total difference of only one prim.  There's really no way to justify the extra rendering overhead that sculpties bring with them, just to save only one prim.

So you know, it takes about 18 cubes to equal the rendering cost of one sculpty (not counting textures).

Sculpties make for really terrible wall materials.  For best results, use prims or mesh.  (A mesh version of that same wall could have less than 5% of the poly count of how you've got it now, could look a heck of a lot better, and would have correct physics.)

Freecilla Kuhn wrote:

How to avoid it I don't know but you could use Color in the Texture tab to add a touch of grey to match it better. You could also remake the texture a bit darker but that could take several trys to get it right and still might not work well.

Simply making the textrue darker won't do.  Notice the lighting toward the bottom of the sculpty matches that of the rest of the wall.  It grades from light to dark, from top to bottom.  If you make the texture darker, it'll be too dark at the bottom, and it still won't match.

The problem appears to be the distribution of light across the entire surface, not just the base color.

Another reason to prefer prims  is the effect of LOD. It's not too hard to preserve geometry through one step with vertex collapsing, but to keep lighting right too you have to collapse more. Two steps, .... you start to need neraly as many sculpties as prims. Without these precautions you get severe ugliness at a distance. No such problems with prims or (properly designed) meshes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.