A Question For Landlords And Land Owners About The New Adult Content Rules

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently started this thread, "New Adult Content Rules:  Did I Miss The Memo?

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/New-Adult-Content-Rules-Did-I-Miss-The-Memo/m-p/1105379/message-uid/1105379#U1105379

One of the new features LL has introduced is the ability to 'hide' avatars on private parcels. 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Hiding-avatars-and-restricting-avatar-sounds/ta-p/999779

Actually, LL is saying it is required to do this if you are going to engage in Adult Activities on M rated land in the privacy of your own home.  And yet I have not seen this feature enabled any where yet.

So my questions are, did you miss the memo too and/or have you enabled this new privacy feature on the land you own?

Dante Tucker wrote:

If I read your original post correctly, all that was updated was a FAQ, not rules. So there are no new rules.

The FAQ pointed to the fact that there were clarifications which while technically I know are not "rules," but in effect they do act as such.

Viewer 2.8 and above has this privacy mode control, and the Firestorm Mesh Beta also has it. Not sure about any other Viewers. 

"Parcel privacy" can apparently be toggled by anyone with sufficient parcel land priviledges for that parcel. I don't know what the controlling factor is though. I have a new alt that is in the land group for my parcel, and can set home there and rez prims there and the like, but she can't change the privacy level. Another alt that is an officer in the land group can, however. (EDIT: You must have the group role ability to toggle About Land > Options settings to toggle the parcel privacy on or off.)

There are problems still with Parcel Privacy as implemented:

It makes it rather strange if you're walking through an area, and happen to step onto a "cloaked" parcel. Suddenly that lawn that you thought was empty might be the site of an all-out orgy, that materializes with no warning. And for those in the orgy, you also appear with no warning to them that you're about to enter their 'private' space. So unless combined with ban lines, it can create some very awkward moments.

It only applies to ground level, in terms of preventing access, because while it apparently would cloak one 3,000 M high skybox's occupants from another skybox on a neighboring parcel and at the same altitude, there's no ban lines that affect strangers beyond a height that is 50 M above the terrain. So "Joe Pervert" will still see the collection of green dots on the map and minimap, and can fly into the parcel and perv out anyway.

Knowl Paine wrote:

It's a new feature for V 2.8 (and above?)

You can hide the goings on so that other Avatars cannot cam in. (pretty sure)

My guess is, it will eventually be Policy or set to On (hide) as a default.

I don't think there was a memo, it was more of an announcement about a "new feature".

When and where was it announced?  Rand bringing it up almost as an after thought in a user group meeting?   Not trying to be argumentative here.  Just that none of the Landlords I know personally were aware of any of this.  It was one of the reasons I was curious how many Landlords knew.

How often have we heard individuals complain about the lack of privacy in their own homes?  And here is this wonderful tool that no one knows about.

Ceera Murakami wrote:

Viewer 2.8 and above has this privacy mode control, and the Firestorm Mesh Beta also has it. Not sure about any other Viewers. 

"Parcel privacy" can apparently be toggled by anyone with sufficient parcel land priviledges for that parcel. I don't know what the controlling factor is though. I have a new alt that is in the land group for my parcel, and can set home there and rez prims there and the like, but she can't change the privacy level. Another alt that is an officer in the land group can, however.

There are problems still with Parcel Privacy as implemented:

It makes it rather strange if you're walking through an area, and happen to step onto a "cloaked" parcel. Suddenly that lawn that you thought was empty might be the site of an all-out orgy, that materializes with no warning. And for those in the orgy, you also appear with no warning to them that you're about to enter their 'private' space. So unless combined with ban lines, it can create some very awkward moments.

It only applies to ground level, in terms of preventing access, because while it apparently would cloak one 3,000 M high skybox's occupants from another skybox on a neighboring parcel and at the same altitude, there's no ban lines that affect strangers beyond a height that is 50 M above the terrain. So "Joe Pervert" will still see the collection of green dots on the map and minimap, and can fly into the parcel and perv out anyway.

Thank you.  Very good to know this.

Have some RL to attend to now so may not respond for a while to any one else's comments.

I have it enabeled on all the parcels I rent out while I don't have it on for shared community areas. It's also handy to have it enabeled if you have neighbors on parcels who are of the less shy type and you want to spare your renters to see what they're up to. Hide avatar on parcel also means you can't see avatars on other parcels without the feature. Many of my customers were not aware of this feature but was very happy to hear about it when I informed them that I had set my parcels to hide avatars. If anyone of my renters requests me not to have it for the parcel they're renting I'd offcourse remove it. But over-all it has brought a few people down from the sky which I think is great. Though my skyboxes aren't that popular anymore :P

Edit: as for people "accidentally" walking onto a parcel well that's what security is for. And it is good to make sure the landscaping is of the kind that it is very clear that they're now crossing a boarder if you don't like using banlines. If they still walk over the boarder they know what they're doing so getting booted is just to be expected. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.