Lindens: Windows 8 Compatibility?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

for u info, windows 8 delveoper preview allows third party viewiers like imprudence and singulairty to run no prob, but sl 3.2 not a chance, tryed both the normal viewier and beta tester and it works for one log in only after that u get repeated login failed attempts or sl has crashed sending error report which faills also. So my suggestin is if ya already got win 7 installed keep it till beta comes out. casue am on window8 8 and i cannot see mesh in world at all.

this is important for windows 8 users, the fix is dead simple, its just an SDK build that you need to install which has .net 4.0 Framework instead of .net 4.5 (which is windows 8)

the .net framework is the issue SL viewers that have mesh wont load, just install this Windows 7 SDK and it will be fixed, its what a Dev told me, it works for him also.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8279

• 11 months later...

Upgraded a Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7901 from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro this morning - now no SL browsers run on it due to driver incompatibility. I have reinstalled drivers from Toshiba and from ATI, and tried the --noprobe trick on startup, and tried running in compatibility mode, but still not working. Any suggestions?

I upgraded my workstation to windows 8 and after updating the NVidia drivers on it, SL runs perfectly on it.

Telefunken Peliatropis wrote:

Upgraded a Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7901 from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro this morning - now no SL browsers run on it due to driver incompatibility. I have reinstalled drivers from Toshiba and from ATI, and tried the --noprobe trick on startup, and tried running in compatibility mode, but still not working. Any suggestions?

I upgraded my workstation to windows 8 and after updating the NVidia drivers on it, SL runs perfectly on it.

I spoke to a customer today who had just upgraded to Win8 from Win7.  She uses Firestorm 4.2.2 and said SL runs on it pretty much the same as it did for her on Win7.  She too needed to update Nvidia drivers but that was all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I have windows 8 and I'm currently using firestorm but with I downloaded it and run it there's no SL voice I have done everything I can , there is no SL voice on the mxyer or at all the SL voice works for others viewers but firestorm I have no idea what I can do . I prefer firestorm over every viewer if someone can try and help me thanks,

SophinaMagic wrote:

Well I have windows 8 and I'm currently using firestorm but with I downloaded it and run it there's no SL voice I have done everything I can , there is no SL voice on the mxyer or at all the SL voice works for others viewers but firestorm I have no idea what I can do . I prefer firestorm over every viewer if someone can try and help me thanks,

dunno if this will help you but on some of the firestorm distros the slvoice.exe properties compatibility setting was/is set to 640x480. slvoice.exe needs to set to the same resolution as your gfx display which it does automagically when the 640x480 is unchecked

i put a pic below so can see which one. steps are:

1) in File Explorer goto Firestorm folder. should be in Program Files (or Program Files (x86) )

2) rightclick on slvoice.exe and choose Properties

3) then Compatibility tab and uncheck 640x480. try toggle if is already unset. like check on then check off and then Apply

+

slvoice.jpg

+

if this is unchecked and slvoice is still not working on Firestorm but works on other viewers then is something wrong with the copy of slvoice.exe in the Firestorm folder. like corrupted maybe

easy way to fix that is to delete it and then copy a slvoice.exe version from another viewer folder that does work to the firestorm folder. should work after that hopefully

SophinaMagic wrote:

I installed Firestorm on a spare computer I'm using to play with Windows 8. When I started Firestorm the built-in firewall popped up a message asking if I wanted to allow SLVoice.exe to access the internet. If you don't allow it, voice won't work. That might be the cause of your problem too. I haven't found an easy way to change the setting; perhaps someone else here knows the way.

Parhelion Palou wrote:

I installed Firestorm on a spare computer I'm using to play with Windows 8. When I started Firestorm the built-in firewall popped up a message asking if I wanted to allow SLVoice.exe to access the internet. If you don't allow it, voice won't work. That might be the cause of your problem too. I haven't found an easy way to change the setting; perhaps someone else here knows the way.

to turn slvoice.exe off/on on Windows 8 then have to do on the firewall

ok here goes:

1) on Start screen. rightclick on the desktop. then All Apps (bottom right your screen)

2) open Control Panel

3) Systems and Security / Windows Firewall / Allow an app through Windows Firewall

4)  can then allow/unallow which apps you want

can see that i got 2 slvoice. 1 for linden viewer and 1 for a TPV. i just show 1 on and 1 off so you can see

also can turn off Windows 8 apps as well. like i turn off Win8 Sports and Store bc i dont use. but i turn on SkyDrive and Travel apps bc i use them

it saves my bandwidth a bit that does bc i am on capped broadband plan

+

slvoice.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so i have switched it off all of that and my SL voice will not work with firestorm on windows 8 for me I've done everything I can even copied it from SL viewr, and then turned off firewall and even added im so effing lost plain and simple SL voice will not load in my firestorm on windows 8

Hello, good afternoon for everyone!

I'm having a problem with Windows 8 too... I can't upload photos on any vewer from my computer! When i try, the vewer turns off, then i need to login and load SL again... Is there someone with the same problem? What can i do to solve it? Please, help me? I'm grateful since now for the attention!

:catwink:

Hello, good afternoon for everyone!:matte-motes-bashful::matte-motes-bashful:

I'm having a problem with Windows 8 too... I can't upload photos on any vewer from my computer! When i try, the vewer turns off, then i need to login and load SL again... Is there someone with the same problem? What can i do to solve it? Please, help me? I'm :matte-motes-bashful:grateful since now for the attention!

might have something to do with media not being installed properly

SL uses webkit for the browser part. same as Firefox

+

when I have problems with these kinds of things. then

1) uninstall my viewer and Firefox browser. reboot computer

2) reinstall Firefox

3) install Flash player and check that is working in Firefox

4) then reinstall my viewer

+

seems to fix most problems with SL webkit this does

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.