Is there a way to retrieve chat logs from a different computer?

DWalk13

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Actually, yes, it can be done.

On your computer, there will be a "SecondLife" folder containing the preferences for each account.

On Windows, the default location of that folder is C:\Documents and Settings\accountname\Application Data\SecondLife , where accountname is your login account on that computer (not your avatar account). Inside that folder is a sub-folder like "dwalk13_resident", which contains your preferences and chat logs. The path most likely includes a hidden folder at the "Application Data" level, so you have to include hidden folders when you search for it.

Copy that folder to the same location on your new computer, and the chat logs will follow you.

Note that if the new computer is a different OS or OS version, like moving from Windows XP to Windows 7, the path may be a bit different. But the existance of a SecondLife folder will be there, as long as you've logged in at least once from that computer.

DWalk13 wrote:

I bought a new computer, and I want my
old chat logs
on this one

Is there a way to
retrieve them from in world so they will be stored on my new computer
?

Ceera Murakami wrote:

Actually, yes, it can be done.

Hmm.. basically we're explaining the same thing here I think, but I interpreted the question differently, hence my 'No.'.

I'm going to disagree with you Ceera.  As I read the question the OP wants to know if he/she can retrieve the chat logs via in-world.   No, you can't do that.  LL has the chat logs on their servers but they are not likely to release those logs to anyone.  The chat logs are also stored on the individual's computer...........those can be retrieved and saved or moved to another computer but they have to be accessed from the computer that has the logs stored on it.  The user can locate and transfer or copy the logs to the new computer from the old computer.  But they can't get the old chat logs from any in-world source.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.