Max Rigging - skin weight

Dundridge Dreadlow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, I have a mesh in 3D Studio Max.  It is rigged for animation, and appears to move more or less correctly when the bones do in max.  It has the standard skeleton, and exports happily.  (Max 2012->FBX->Collada->jointsarray=26)

Over to SL - Upload model panel - looks exactly as it does in max.  Click to modifiers tab, click skin weights.  Show skin weight on the drop down.

My mesh is now viewed in the preview window significantly bigger than the original. 

Loading it into SL, it looks great in world on a desk or something(and to correct scale), but attached to an avatar, it appears significantly bigger than the original (like a giant tent) and corrupted (LOD or weighting error or both) though it does appear to move with the avatar.

Presumably I've missed something simple.  (Yes, I've read http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Exporting_a_mesh_from_3ds_Max)  What do I need to change/check/modify ?

Are you using SLAV to bring in the rig? If so you need to set the import scale to 1 instead of the default of 40. To make the rig a usable size in Max you can use select and scale to bring it up to an appropriate size. When you import into SL just make sure to set the scale in the modifiers tab so it's again a appropriate size. So you don't lose your work, save your skin weights to a file. After you've brought in the new correct scale rig and scaled it up and fit your model to it again, do a reset xform on it and collapse it. Then add a new skin modifier and import your weights.

• Like 1

Thanks, I am using SLAV  - that and your other post about scale and weight map importing helped fix it nicely :)

I found another way that might help in the future - import from SLAV at scale 1 instead of 40, then set custom units to 0.025 metres, then it can be worked in max at a more sensible listed scale.

..and on import, set the scale on the modifiers tab to 40.

It's never easy.  :matte-motes-big-grin-evil:

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks, i will post in that topic so its about skin weight. Thanks to all of you for share your experience thats help me a lot in my own process. And sorry about my english if its no so clear.

Im trying a workflow between Marvelous Designer and MAX and using Max Design 2013 with SLAV Pluging. After a lot of scale testing i found the right method to import a mesh into SL with the right proportions and flowing almost good over the avatar, the only thing i found is the weight of the vertices that i would like to be more soft transitions that i get. I guess about with that small scale mesh will be hard for skin modifier to do better transitions but i found the weight areas are so much hard and in red color without yellow or blue transitions to the other vertex of the mesh.

Are any of you guys found the same problems?? any ideas about how to do a better skinning or weight painting??

Thanks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.