Bone Weight Copy in Blender 2.5x

Ashasekayi Ra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Works somewhat for me! :) Thx! At least I can see it in the Tool Shelf.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can't select more than one item in the Outliner. Shift-LMB doesn't seem to work. Even in a new blend file.

I used the RMB to get the popup and selected the new mesh (head) and the Domino mesh (head). I select new then old and try BWC. I get an error. Using only named bones. I get the same error whether I do that NAMED or not.

[File Location - the py file] in line 157 in execute main(context)

[File location] in line 137, in main ifcontext.scene['BWCInter" not found'] > 0:

KeyError: 'bpy_struct:[key] "BWCInter" not found'

I get a new copy of the new head's datablock in the Outliner.

May be I don't understand how this script is supposed to work. I assumed it would be basically like the script in 2.49.

The original script has a glitch. According to blender developers it uses an outdated access method to the variables which you can set on the tool shelf. I d not know when exactly this problem shows up. But it hit me also and suddenly without apparent cause.

I was not able to get rid of the problem until i removed the script (disabling it was not sufficient!), then return to factory settings and install it again. And the issue came back to me after a while (but i was frequently updating the script at that time, so it may be related to frequent deinstall/reinstall of the script)

My modified version uses the recommended method it has been explained to me by the blender developer. After i modified the script accordingly, the glitch never appeared again.

btw, my script has implemented 2 extra checkmarks for "only copy the bone groups" and "create empty groups in target object" ;-) These extra checkmarks are mostly good for copying the SL-default avatar meshes to a new character, which does not need the huge amount of Morph groups defined in the SL-avatar.

Ashasekayi, one of the nice things you did in the video is verbally state the task/step you were making, like saying duplicate when duplicating. That made it easy for me to use 2.59. The OSD Hotkey is a nice a nice touch too.

I had to color my avatar.blend and Phoenix exported avatars different colors so that I could tell which mesh I was selecting for Bone Weight Copy. By leaving the avatar.blend one flat, rather than smooth, it was easier to telll which is which.

It is a pain that multiple select in the Outliner does not work. Or is that just me?

EDIT: Multiple select via shift-LMB works in 2.63a.

Thanks for the excellent videos, Ashasekayi.

Gaia, thanks for fixing the script and your great tutorials. 

Between the fix and video I have Bone Weight Copy working.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Ashasekayi, one of the nice things you did in the video is verbally state the task/step you were making, like saying duplicate when duplicating. That made it easy for me to use 2.59. The OSD Hotkey is a nice a nice touch too.

I had to color my avatar.blend and Phoenix exported avatars different colors so that I could tell which mesh I was selecting for Bone Weight Copy. By leaving the avatar.blend one flat, rather than smooth, it was easier to telll which is which.

It is a pain that multiple select in the Outliner does not work. Or is that just me?

Thanks for the excellent videos,
Ashasekayi

Gaia, thanks for fixing the script and your great tutorials. 

Between the fix and video I have Bone Weight Copy working.

Welcome and thanks for the comment.

Glad the video helped. :)

Yes, it is weird that shift selecting multiple objects doesn't work in the Outliner. But, you can select multiple items there.

1) Left click to select the first item in the Outliner.

2) Right click the next object you want in the Outliner. Pick "Select" from the menu that pops up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.