Need Blender help

Jacki Silverfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry for asking here bnut I can't seem to get any answers anywhere related to Blender forums.

My 3D view port is borked.

I can't move the model with Shift + MMB.

Also, Everytime I click the left mouse button the model moves. It's getting very annoying. I want to place my cursor in a certain spot to add a shape and the whole model moves up, down, where ever.

Hope you can help me here.

Using 2.59 and it just started a few hours ago.

TY

Jacki

Ok, scrap the below. I tried maya mode and got a file folder of bender 2.59 up on this OS. Um, I think your objects are following the curser...I do not know of this setting or add-on, but it sounds familiar. I would re-install and maybe if that does not work, try deleting the settings files for blender...um, I can't help you find them but someone who knows blender better will help with your OS. It is an OS specific one and even different version might be different.

You miht also be able to delete the B.blend file...I think this might have settings and this one is you default scene .blend file. But, not sure. Sorry.

It sounds like you might be in Maya mode, all I remember is that when I tried this for fun it was wierd different settings for the mouse lol.

Other than that...uh, you might want to reinstall and possibly ask blender experts on thier forums if they can help you find the settings files to delete.

Blender is configurable...maybe you are in a 2.49 compatible mode? The click, slight drag and then it grips and moves the object or mesh sounds like the old 2.49 way of doing things!

Find out how to change modes (I bet it is in the file or edit menu under preferernces or settings...this willhave a tonne of tabs in 2.5x)

BUT, wait...are you in 2.49? Then you might have ot delete settings files after uninstalling and reinstall lol. That is maybe faster than waiting for responses on how to set the settings.

It sounds like maya mode though lol. SO that is what I would check first! I just can't remember what part of preferences and I hunt this stuff down each time I use it (which is rarely) so...sorry I can't help more.

You might also have issues with your mouse buttons BTW. If they start to not hold you get it stalling. If you can push harder on the mouse button or put you finger at a different angle and it will work more often, then this might be the issue.

Plus, there is a 2 button mouse mode that emulates a third buttonusing ctrl or something...this might also be enabled, so check that to.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of how blender even works..I need to be in 'blender mode' and have the software open to remember the keypresses and mouse movements ect. Odd compartmentalisation huh?

In the properties panel (when you press N ) Look under "View". See the check button "Lock to Cursor". That'll be it. Very handy at the right time so you can pan around a particular spot.

Some may not know about this one: Alt + B, draw a box around an area and it hides everything else. Perfect for doing, say, the inside of a mouth. Alt B again to return.

• Like 1

Well I'll be dipped in bleep! That did the trick. Thanks so much! The thing is I thought that was always checked so I didn't bother unchecking it to see if that's the problem. Takes another point of view to get me thinking sometimes.

I'm going to try the Alt+H

Your the best!

Couldn't even get a answer off the big Blender forum.

:)

Now can you make my office chair stop squeaking?! :smileyvery-happy:

All add to that by suggesting after you make these and any other changes in User preference, pressing CTL U to set up your default interface so every time you reload you don't have to change these setting.

You always have the option to select "Load Factory Settings" to go back to the way things were, just be sure to again press CTL U if you want to make loading Factory Settings permanent.

In my set up I have the avatar.blend along with other personalized settings set up as my opening blender file (ctl U).  If I'm modeling something else I select "Load Factory Settings" and then save that file for that specific  project.  This way I don't have to always hunt down where I store the main Avatar.blend file, and I use it alot so it's handy.

Thanks Jacki, NP. Hmmm, my chair squeeks as well and I can't fix that. I tried spray oil. Oh well.

I keep a special Blender file called MyDefaultBlend. That is for when I want to change a personal preference that I want to keep.

Blenders way isn't the best, so to make a change stick so I can use it again. Save current file and open a new file before changing anything. Make changes then save as default Ctl + U, but also save to MyDefaultBlend so when I accidentally reset factory or, and I hate this, you save user settings to the file you are working on and every new file is that one. Answer, open MyDefaultBlend - do/change settings and or preferences, Ctl U and save file.

hope that makes sense.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.