Error when exporting rigged avatar...Please help!

Aiden Rives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I'm trying learn how to rig with this tutorial http://blog.machinimatrix.org/3d-creation/blender-meshes-trail/rigg-your-avatar/.

At the end, when I'm try to export, it says "Exporting failed, check the console for info".

The info in the console is AttributeError: "none Type" object has no attribute name.

Please help! I have tried several times, repeating the tutorial to make sure I didn't do anything wrong. Even reinstalled Blender, Python and Primstar but still get the same Exporting Failed. It's only with rigging that I get this error, I can export non rigged meshes without a problem.

I have clicked the "Make real" button for the modifier before I try to export. Don't know what's wrrong :(

It's likely the Apply button is the culprit.  I've exported several rigged meshes, but if you rig a vertex to a group (as you would for bones) and then remove the target of that group by applying the modifier, it's pointing to nothing now.  Try exporting again without clicking Apply and see if you get better results, or a different error if you still hit a wall.

When you export, on the collada export properties, try checking the "use UV image mats" button. I was getting this error a bit earlier this year and I think it had something to do with vertices being unassigned to material groups. Using the uv as the material assignment sorted it for me. Then I switched to blender 2.59 and don't get any errors at all anymore :)

I've tried several different combinations:

Click "Make real" only, export -error

Click "Make real" and then "apply", export - error

Didn't click "make real" export -error

This is really frustrating,  I wish LL would actually make an official tutorial of how to make a rigged avatar like back when Torley made tutorials.

• Like 1

Select your mesh and then hit F5 and "make new" to assign a material to your entire mesh.  I've had this error and it's always due to missing matterial assignment.  Edit to add: you can then assign seperate parts to different material groups, but start with an overall material assigned to all verts.

The avatar model isn't rigged at all after upload. When worn, it just looks like a white mannequin attached to me =_=

Here's what I did:

1 Click Make Real and then Click apply

2. select the avatar mesh and check the vertex groups listAvatarRigVertexGroups.jpg

Could it be because mFootLeft and mFootRight is missing? The tutorial did not mention anything about this but I read somewhere that those two need to be on the list, no idea how to add them.

3. With the model only selected, Export with the buttons "Only Export Selection","Use UV Image Mats" and "Apply Modifier" checked. Export Successful.

4. In the SL upload model preview, the "Show skin weight" option is greyed out. Upload anyway.

5. Wear, attached to hand, not rigged at all.

What could be wrong???

Aiden Rives wrote:

Could it be because mFootLeft and mFootRight is missing? The tutorial did not mention anything about this but I read somewhere that those two need to be on the list, no idea how to add them.

You do need to include "mFootRight" and "mFootLeft". The uploader doesn't like partial lists at the moment.

If you are rigging clothing, you may want to try:

To solve the mFootLeft and mFootRIght issues, all you need to do is create empty vertex groups with those names. Alternatively, if you want to be paranoid, you can also select some of the feet in question and add them to those groups...

Empty groups do work though :)

At last,success! :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Thank Ashasekayi. That's a really long tutorial, I think it would help better if there's a written outline of the essential steps just to keep it short, simple and quick. Don't think the Wiz Dexter plug-in part is essential. I hope you will be uploading the how to make the shirt with different levels of LOD and physics shape soon :matte-motes-grin:

The plugin isn't essential, but it is helpful in my opinion. I prefer it to using the avatar.blend file especially when dealing with custom shapes. To each his own as they say.

Someone else asked me to show how I modeled the shirt and LODs. So, I'm going to tackle that after I make a more basic tutorial on making a lantern.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.