SL + ubuntu = not working... HELP!!!!

hookitup1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello ppl i am new here, hope i am posting this in the right place, .... i downloaded second life from here and i extracted it then ran the install in terminal then when i go to unity and search second life then click on it the SL screen pops up for a split second then disappears. so i just tried running it straight from the directory and same issue, what do i have to do to et this game working .. im useing ubuntu 11.04 on a dell latitude e6400.

I don't know what to say, other than I just tried unbuntu this weekend and the standard sl viewer worked fine for me. I didn't like the way linux worked over all though I uninstalled it and went back to windows 7. Not to mention windows 7 was faster with sl. 80 fps with linux vrs 200 fps with windows 7.

Possibly you need a different video card driver for linux? but good luck with that, I tried to install it on linux and couldn't figure out how lol. One of the reasons I ditched it.

Ahoi,

:) had the same trouble years ago. Than i installed a new version of the operating system and it was working fine.

With OpenSuse 3.11 its fine, also some slViewer works with wine, not all.

You wrote: You can start the viewer and after a time it stops.

...... Can you read the Output in the console window? It is there where you type < ./secondlife.sh > 

?? What stands there?

I am running the Viewer without Clouds, without Fog, without Trees, without all grafikal stuff :) it works with 2 fps :))

maby its a C library??

Lg Andy

teeandy Bikergrrl wrote:

Ahoi,

:)
had the same trouble years ago. Than i installed a new version of the operating system and it was working fine.

With OpenSuse 3.11 its fine, also some slViewer works with wine, not all.

You wrote: You can start the viewer and after a time it stops.

...... Can you read the Output in the console window? It is there where you type < ./secondlife.sh > 

?? What stands there?

I am running the Viewer without Clouds, without Fog, without Trees, without all grafikal stuff
it works with 2 fps
)

maby its a C library??

Lg Andy

this is the output

"This is a BETA release of the Second Life linux client.

Thank you for testing!

Please see README-linux.txt before reporting problems.

dark@darkmyth:~/Downloads/SecondLife-i686-2.8.3.238392$ 2011-08-22T17:40:06Z INFO: (anonymous namespace)::LogControlFile::loadFile: logging reconfigured from /home/dark/Downloads/SecondLife-i686-2.8.3.238392/app_settings/logcontrol.xml

2011-08-22T17:40:06Z WARNING: ll_apr_warn_status: APR: No such file or directory

2011-08-22T17:40:06Z WARNING: remove:  Attempting to remove filename: /home/dark/.secondlife/logs/SecondLife.exec_marker

2011-08-22T17:40:06Z INFO: updateApplication: Gathering logs...

2011-08-22T17:40:06Z INFO: gatherFiles: Using log file from debug log /home/dark/.secondlife/logs/SecondLife.log

2011-08-22T17:40:06Z INFO: gatherFiles: Using settings file from debug log /home/dark/.secondlife/user_settings/settings.xml

2011-08-22T17:40:06Z INFO: updateApplication: Encoding files...

Can't find file /home/dark/.secondlife/user_settings/settings.xml

Can't find file /home/dark/.secondlife/logs/stats.log

2011-08-22T17:40:06Z INFO: updateApplication: Sending reports...

2011-08-22T17:40:06Z INFO: updateApplication: Sending to server, try 1...

2011-08-22T17:40:06Z INFO: run: thread_error - Waiting for an error

2011-08-22T17:40:06Z INFO: main: Crash reporter finished normally.

2011-08-22T17:40:06Z INFO: ll_cleanup_apr: Cleaning up APR"

maybe the stuff i made red is the issue,  i just dont know what to do with this information, and i cant find the log files.

With all respect I make this post.  I think you should be on a Linux forum trying to understand and learn how to administer a powerful OS such as Linux.  It is not a toy.  I do not seek to admonish you openly, but I also do not want to openly ignore your pleas for help.  You must learn to RTFM; it is rule number 1 for running an OS such as Linux.  

Naiki Muliaina wrote:

If hes using Ubuntu its just a
basic OS like Windows
. I agree hes better off asking on ubuntuforums.org, in the games section, but
how many people read the manual to use Windows?

I have no idea how many people read the manuals for windows; if I ever used it I probably would.  I have never met a unix/linux user that did NOT read the manual.  However, times are changing; the OS is free so all the help and support is free.  I wonder how much MS charges for people who don't read the manual?  

NO operating system is basic.  

unbuntu comes in both 32 and 64 bit versions, they actually suggest using the 32 version because it is more stable. I used the 64 bit version and it worked fine for sl. But for me there was no installing it. You just download it and unpack the files. it runs right from the folder it came in. You just click the sl icon and it starts. Not the actual icon though, that is just an image. The folder has a readme file that tells which one you need.

Obviously if it starts though you are clicking the right one, it just crashes after it starts for some reason. Like I said it worked fine for me, and this was just a few days ago. Has to be something with a driver or something its not seeing it wants to. I would make sure you have all the drivers you need for your mother board and hardware and make sure the OS is up to date. How you would do that on iinux I don't know though, only messed with it for a day and that was enough for me to see I didn't like how it worked. It was like going from the 1.23 viewer to the new v2 viewer. It worked, I just didn't like it and wasn't sure how it all worked. I know how windows works and didn't want to spend the time learning all the intricacies of linux. And since the performance wasn't any better I saw no point.

Like someone else said, go the linux or unbuntu forums for support. From what I understand the OS offers great support.

I disagree. Windows, Mac and later Ubuntu are succesful because they are as user freindly as possible. They are all as basic as your going to get in the current desktop market. On reading manuals, Windows PC's never came with proper manuals from 95 - Vista times (no idea if they did with Win 7). Macs just used to have a quick start guide. Ubuntu has a basic quick start guide PDF aswell.

Naiki Muliaina wrote:

I disagree. Windows, Mac and later Ubuntu are succesful because they are as user freindly as possible. They are all as
basic
as your going to get in the current desktop market. On reading manuals, Windows PC's never came with proper manuals from 95 - Vista times (no idea if they did with Win 7). Macs just used to have a quick start guide. Ubuntu has a basic quick start guide PDF aswell.

Ok.  How does one learn anything anymore? Posting to a forum or reading the manual?  I was always a fan of both.

I actually have the same problem, I have an earlier intel pentium 4  running 32 bit ubuntu 11.04, and exactly the same thing happened to me, it worked perfectly well in 10.10.. i just gave up and went back to a windows p.c..(sorry to say)..

Other people i believe have the same issue, you are not alone there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.